Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Dan Evans 629 posts 1016 karma points
    May 23, 2011 @ 11:12
    Dan Evans

SPAM protection

Hi

On the Contour page - http://umbraco.com/products/more-add-ons/contour it says

"It is also easy to implement anti SPAM systems such as Akismet or Mollom in Contour, which ensure that your visitors won't be bugged by Captcha fields."

However I can't find any documentation on how to implement these. Any ideas?

Thanks

Dan

• Comment author was deleted

May 23, 2011 @ 16:42

Well you can add a recaptha fieldtype: http://our.umbraco.org/projects/developer-tools/contour-contrib

Cheers,
    Tim

• Dan Evans 629 posts 1016 karma points
    May 23, 2011 @ 16:45
    Dan Evans

Yes, I've done that but as it says "it is also easy to implement anti SPAM systems such as Akismet or Mollom in Contour, which ensure that your visitors won't be bugged by Captcha fields" I was rather hoping NOT to use a CAPTCHA.

How does easily implement Akismet or Mollom?

• psiho 101 posts 96 karma points
    May 24, 2011 @ 21:30
    psiho

It's not exactly an answer but we also had the same question some time ago. We ended up reusing one of our old internal components and rewrote it for Umbraco: http://our.umbraco.org/projects/website-utilities/mailform-protector - but this is only for form2mail functionalities

May 24, 2011 @ 22:02

Well it should be pretty simple to attach a Askimet workflow, I'll write on in the next weeks (before cg) and report back here

Cheers,
    Tim

May 25, 2011 @ 14:51
    psiho

yes, but we thought it was not as good solution for contact forms, maybe more fit to comments/forum posts. Also, it is not allways free (not cheap). So, at the end we implemented antispam method that uses different techniques like IP detection, visually hidden field than needs to be left blank (99.9% spammer fall into this trap), time measuring for filling up the form, spamwords filtering, etc. All those techniques combined, in last 6 months of usage on several sites including our own, had 100% success - 0 false positives and 0 false negatives. Although, those sites are well "below radar".

At that time, we played with the idea how to visually hide a field via CSS in Contour, and then trigger spam detection if that field is filled in. But at the end, it was easier for us to reuse old asp and .net component and adapt it to Umbraco. Also it was chepaer for our clients that use it for their contact forms. Contour is so much more, and paying 99$ just for contact form on one site is usually too much.

Jun 02, 2011 @ 11:11

Got a working akismet integration, will share it in one of the following days (have to fine tune it a bit)

• Profiterole 232 posts 264 karma points
    Sep 14, 2011 @ 18:45
    Profiterole

Hi! I'm also looking for akismet integration. Have you something working?

• dandrayne 1138 posts 2262 karma points
    Sep 15, 2011 @ 10:25
    dandrayne

Hi Tim

I'd also be very interested in Akismet integration in contour - is there any code that we could see?

Cheers,

Dan 

Sep 15, 2011 @ 22:27
    psiho

I'm wondering what exactly you're triying to use Akismet for? Some comments, contact forms, subscription forms....? I cannot help you with Akismet but potentialy can suggest some other solution for the time being.

• Profiterole 232 posts 264 karma points
    Sep 16, 2011 @ 13:56
    Profiterole

Hi psiho!

I'll take for myself, but I have spam in my comments form. I had the idea to add a hidden field that must be blank, but I don't have any idea how to make this work with contour. So, I tought Aksimet would be a great alternative.

Sep 19, 2011 @ 13:07

There are some parts in the contour strikes again project (http://contourstrikesagain.codeplex.com/) that will make it possible to setup akismet on Contour.

Workflow + some extensions on the entries viewer.

I'll do a detailed post on that in a couple days

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft