Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Tom Smith 98 posts 172 karma points
    Jun 10, 2011 @ 12:08
    Tom Smith

Data Recovery - Form linked to data source

Hi All,

I did some contour work on a site a while back; there are several forms, all of which are linked to a singe data source (SQL DB).

I was working on a development version of the site, which linked to a development version of the data source. 

I stressed that when they moved the site live, they needed to switch the contour connection string to the live version of the datasouce. 

Unfortuantely, they did not switch the connection string so the live site was pointed at the dev data source for about a month. They then they wiped the database (No backup) corresponding to the dev datasouce, and lost over a month's worth of form entries. 

So my question is: does contour store local copies (in umbraco db) of form entries, even if the form is linked to an external data source? If the answer is no, any ideas on how to recover the data? 

Many Thanks,

Tom

• James Drever 118 posts 149 karma points
    Jun 10, 2011 @ 12:17
    James Drever

Hi Tom,

Presume there is nothing in \umbraco\data\records - Contour can store local copies of form entries in there, but I think you have to have specified it in the workflow for the form.

James

Jun 10, 2011 @ 12:41
    Tom Smith

HI James,

Nope, it was a bog standard install of contour, and I didn't think to set up a workflow to do this as I didn't forsee any issues.

(although thanks for the tip - will come in very handy in future!),

:( 

Many Thanks,

Tom

• James Drever 118 posts 149 karma points
    Jun 10, 2011 @ 13:27
    James Drever

Hi Tom,

Oh that's a blow!  I'm afraid I don't know of any other local storage for Contour form entries - may be worth checking with the very heplful Tim Geyssens at Umbraco HQ.

Hope you get some joy!

James.

Jun 10, 2011 @ 13:34
    Tom Smith

Hi James,

I sort of managed to answer this - I had forgotten about the "Store records locally" check box that appears at the bottom of the "Settings" tab for data source linked forms.

The description of this check box says "If unchecked, this will disable entries viewing and easy access to the reacords through the xslt libraries. You should uncheck this if you wish to avoid having redundant records stored"

So contour can store records in both places by default, but does not keep them linked. So if you want to avoid ever getting out of sync, you need to disable entries viewing in contour. (as entries viewing looks at the local copy of entries, not the data source copy - where some might have been deleted, moved etc)

Naturally, I had unticked this box for all of the forms.

So data is indeed gone.

No worries and  thanks for the help,

Tom

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft