• Bill Smith 52 posts 222 karma points
    Apr 04, 2013 @ 17:34
    Bill Smith

Auto response

Can Contour do this? If so how?

• Dan Diplo 1554 posts 6205 karma points MVP 5x c-trib
    Apr 04, 2013 @ 17:52
    Dan Diplo

It's possible, but you have to write a custom workflow step (I know as I've done this). The manual at http://our.umbraco.org/FileDownload?id=1223 has the best documenation on how to create custom workflows.

Apr 04, 2013 @ 19:54
    Bill Smith

That's disappointing, I would've thought that would've been a stanfard feature.

Apr 04, 2013 @ 21:06
    Dan Diplo

If you send me your email address I can send you the basic code to add this functionality...

• Fergus Davidson 309 posts 588 karma points
    Apr 04, 2013 @ 21:32
    Fergus Davidson

you can send a XSLT transformed email to the email address entered in the form on submission, using one of the standard workflows, i think.

Apr 04, 2013 @ 23:24
    Bill Smith

Dan I appreciate that, email: [email protected].

Although I have no problems with creating a .net control for emails, we decided to use Contour as our client wanted the ability to create their own forms!

I just expected Contour to be able to auto-respond as standard. I'm also surprised that there is no (that I can see) facility to set the recipient, eg, Info@ or Support@.

Bill

Apr 04, 2013 @ 23:27
    Bill Smith

Fergus, I thought Contour was meant to be a no fuss general purpose email solution, I'm not sure our client's admin assistant is that hot with XSLT :)

Bill

• Fergus Davidson 309 posts 588 karma points
    Apr 04, 2013 @ 23:42
    Fergus Davidson

Bill, 

if the goal is to let the client add forms and assign someone to get the notification, including all form fields, then no XSLT required. there is a standard workflow 'send email' which will facilitate this.

My comment regarding XSLT Transformed emails allows a 'richer' email to be sent to the person via a workflow.

As far as response emails for the user are concerned, you also have the option to create a template which would allow the client to create nodes held somewhere in the site [hidden of course] which could send an email using the 'umbraco.library:SendMail' in an XSLT Macro, or a .net macro. the client could then create as many response 'pages' as required, editing the email content in the document in a text area of RTE.

Any Contour form, when added could then be redirected on submission to that page, this would deliver an in-browser response and also trigger the mail to be sent.

Fergus

Apr 05, 2013 @ 09:47
    Dan Diplo

@Bill - I've emailed you the code. My understanding is that you wanted a workflow that sends an automatic email response to the person filling in the form, which is what my custom workflow does. Obviously Contour can send emails directly to a designated address, but my code is for auto-replying to the form filler.

Apr 08, 2013 @ 10:16
    Bill Smith

Thanks everyone for your responses. I shall check all this out and get back to you all.

Thanks Dan for your code.

Bill

• Oscar Tekii 1 post 21 karma points
    Nov 04, 2013 @ 01:49
    Oscar Tekii

Hey Dan,

Can you send me the code or let me know how to set it up in the workflow? Cheers

Nov 04, 2013 @ 13:34
    Dan Diplo

Sure, you can download it from this link:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8bu2t6r00k85sf2/AutoResponseEmailWorkflow.cs

It is "as is" so you'll need to figure out how it works, but it should be fairly obvious.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft