Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Zac 223 posts 575 karma points
    Oct 01, 2013 @ 15:28
    Zac

Charging full price for Contour in it's current state?

Contour in it's current state is broken. The list of bugs is depressing and there is simply no way it should be sold like this without a warning.

I'm especially concerned with how buggy the client-side validation is. With the latest versions of Umbraco, it simply doesn't work.

For example, these issues:

And many more. I'm extremely disappointed. Where is the QA? Why am I finding javascript typos when viewing diffs during a Contour upgrade, and how is this making it through?

The issues currently floating around in Umbraco are one thing - it's free software, so I can forgive the occasionally serious bugs that seem to be plaguing Umbraco 6.

But the paid (and essential) addons? This is not really unacceptable. Look at Courier - between March 2013 and September 2013, Courier simply did not work properly in Umbraco 6.

/RANT

It's currently impossible for me to recommend these tools to other developers.

• Comment author was deleted

Oct 01, 2013 @ 15:46

Sorry that you feel this way, looking into the issues now, more details this afternoon

For QA that's where this forum is for :)

Oct 01, 2013 @ 15:49

And of course if you aren't happy with the current state you can always ask for a full refund :) but I'm sure we can get the problems sorted (looking into it now)

Oct 01, 2013 @ 16:25
    Zac

I am also sorry, I don't like insulting other people's hard work, especially not in the Umbraco community. I love Umbraco, at least compared to any other CMS I've ever used. But I feel like this needed to be said. I've defended Contour previously, how it's a cat-and-mouse game with changes in Umbraco, that bugs are the price of progress, and how Contour (and Courier) are doing some pretty difficult and complicated tasks.

Oct 01, 2013 @ 16:31

Don't be Zac I appreciate that you tell us how you feel about the product, thought I had support under control and everybody was happy but I was wrong so thanks for helping us improve :)

Oct 01, 2013 @ 16:33

Btw any other issues that you think need to be solved before you would purchase the product again, almost done with the client side validation ones so feel free to point me to a few more ones :)

Oct 01, 2013 @ 17:10
    Zac

Appreciate that Tim :)

I noticed you can't reproduce issue 323. The fields I've got in a form with this issue:

• Textfield
    • DropDownList
    • CheckboxList
    • DatePicker
    • Textarea
    • FileUpload

The form also has an Enable Condition on some dropdowns (Show if X starts with ABC). I think this may be what's causing the issue?

Oct 01, 2013 @ 17:14

Ok will take a look, also cleaning up the issue tracker but please point out the issues that are critical for you so we can get those fixed :)

Oct 01, 2013 @ 17:33

@Zac tried with those fields and can't reproduce, what browser are you getting this on?

Oct 01, 2013 @ 17:55

And it would be ace if you could give the current WIP version a try http://nightly.umbraco.org/Umbraco%20Contour/3.0.17%20WIP/

If you want to update an existing install you can find some details here http://our.umbraco.org/projects/umbraco-pro/contour/documentation/Installation/Upgrade

But you are correct the 3.0.15 and 3.0.16 release seems to have had a couple of issues with the client side validation so thanks for pointing that out :) Will do a couple of test runs and then we can get 3.0.17 out!

I tend to keep a close eye on this forum and our ticketing system (so issues reported via support on umbraco.com) as you can tell from watching some of the forum posts it will be hard to find one where I'm not replying. But I must admit that I don't watch the issue tracker that closely since I expect people to post issues here on the forum or get in touch with support), so lesson learned and I'll make sure to give that more attention! But in general it's best to post on the forum (maybe i should add that to the Contour project page) and this forum and issue tracker is public + Contour is free to install and try so we are not trying to sell you broken stuff ;)

Again thanks for bringing this to our attention and I hope you'll be able to recommend this to other devs soon ;) (don't forget to point me to the issues you find critical)

All the best, Tim

Oct 01, 2013 @ 17:57
    Zac

Edit: (In reply to your previous post) Sure. I wonder if 382 is a consequence of 323 - the javascript error breaks the client-side validation, and the "Specified cast is not valid" error occurs.

Another problem, this time in the back end, is with trying to create Data Sources (right click -> data sources):

System.ArgumentException: The create dialog for "formdatasources" does not match anything defined in the "~/umbraco/config/create/UI.xml". This could mean an incorrectly installed package or a corrupt UI file

This may not be a bug at all, or it may be a consequence of upgrading the package rather than a fresh install, or I may have misconfigured something, I'm not sure.

Oct 01, 2013 @ 17:59

Yup looks like you upgraded umbraco and overwrote the ~/umbraco/config/create/UI.xml file removing the Contour entries, check the Adding configuration to ui.xml bit of this doc to see what you need to add

http://our.umbraco.org/projects/umbraco-pro/contour/documentation/Installation/Manual

Oct 01, 2013 @ 18:05
    Zac

Thanks for your help Tim. :)

I'm going to try to figure what I need to do to reproduce 323!

Oct 01, 2013 @ 18:09

Yup maybe give it a try with the 3.0.17 WIP version :)

• Mark 49 posts 130 karma points
    Oct 01, 2013 @ 21:30
    Mark

While someone is looking into issues in contour, possible to check out this issue - http://issues.umbraco.org/issue/CON-378

Unfortunately it's really down to safari being a b*tch, but pretty much has meant have had to go back to creating custom MVC forms rather then using contour for building facebook apps (which are always iframed in).

cheers

Oct 01, 2013 @ 22:54

@Mark sure we'll take a look :)

• Mark 49 posts 130 karma points
    Oct 01, 2013 @ 22:59
    Mark

Thanks =)

Oct 03, 2013 @ 10:48

@Zac so any chance you had time to test the 3.0.17 WIP version would love to get it out :)

Oct 03, 2013 @ 10:52
    Zac

Not yet I'm afraid, but it's next on my list for this morning!

Oct 03, 2013 @ 11:00

Ok hold on for a couple of minutes, will do a test run myself first :)

Oct 03, 2013 @ 11:02

Ok looks good, go for it ;)

Oct 03, 2013 @ 11:19

@Mark a hard one to solve since I still want to keep prevent CSRF attacks, any chance you have some more details on a solution?

Oct 03, 2013 @ 11:28

@Mark,

Added a ContourFormCsrfUnSave method so if you wish you can use that, simply update the form view from

Html.BeginForm("ContourForm", "FormRender"

to

Html.BeginForm("ContourFormCsrfUnSave", "FormRender"

Can you give that a try with the 3.0.17 WIP http://nightly.umbraco.org/Umbraco%20Contour/3.0.17%20WIP/?

Oct 03, 2013 @ 14:59
    Zac

Ok, I haven't tested as extensively but I am getting on better with 3.0.17 WIP :)

I do still have some issues I was, uh, throwing a tantrum about in this thread, but actually I think they are strictly related to my implementation. Embarrassing.

So, given that Contour puts the client-side javascript in the middle of the body, and thus requires jQuery, jQuery ui, validate, and unobtrusive to be present before this point, we had a problem since we define jQuery in a bundle at the end of our body, for performance. Let's just pretend for a second that we can't move jQuery to the head, ok?!

So, what I had done was modify Umbraco\Plugins\umbracoContour\Views\Script.cshtml so that instead of pulling in contourform.js, I was pushing a function into an array to be executed later, after jQuery loaded.

This deferred function contained code to then pull in 4 javascript files - jQuery ui, validate, unobtrusive, and contourform.js, in that order:

deferredFunctions.push(function () {
        var js = document.createElement("script");
        js.src = '/umbraco/plugins/umbracoContour/scripts/jquery-ui-1.8.11.min.js';
        document.body.appendChild(js);

js = document.createElement("script");
        js.src = '/umbraco/plugins/umbracoContour/scripts/jquery.validate.min.js';

js.src = '/umbraco/plugins/umbracoContour/scripts/jquery.validate.unobtrusive.min.js';

js.src = '/umbraco/plugins/umbracocontour/scripts/frontend/contourform.js';
    });

This then gets executed after jQuery has loaded. But I think I must be overlooking something stupid.

Anyway, this is ONE of the ways I've been able to create http://issues.umbraco.org/issue/CON-323, there was another but I can't seem to find it right now. :(

Oct 03, 2013 @ 17:15

Ok thanks yeah putting the script at the bottom isn't supported I guess, but will have a look if there is an easy solution :) but good news that you approve 3.0.17 WIP :)

Oct 04, 2013 @ 10:06

Contour 3.0.17 is out http://our.umbraco.org/forum/umbraco-pro/contour/45197-Contour-3017-changes

Client side validation issues have been fixed :)

Oct 04, 2013 @ 11:07
    Zac

Great :) Thanks a lot for that fast turnaround

Oct 04, 2013 @ 11:09

No prob hope you are happy with it now :) and remember if you encounter any issues please let us know on the forum :)

• denisedelbando 141 posts 339 karma points
    Nov 12, 2013 @ 22:21
    denisedelbando

THank you, i thought i was the only one. we also paid for this product. the least i need is a good documentation! Im trying to be as patient as possible.

I was forced to look for outside sources and i would really like to promote this one. http://our.umbraco.org/projects/developer-tools/dewd

Since contour doesn't have a one to many relationship on their forms, i was using this one! Best part is it is open source.

Nov 13, 2013 @ 09:26

Hey,

Would love to hear what you think is missing so we can fill in the blanks :)

Have you seen http://our.umbraco.org/projects/umbraco-pro/contour/documentation ?

Also if you where unable to use Contour you can always ask for a refund :)

Cheers, Tim

Nov 14, 2013 @ 21:10
    denisedelbando

Hello Tim,

I asked about this before the one - to - many relationship and many to many relationship in contour. It isn't possible. The only way i did it was doing a lot of custom worfklow and for the reports (which was my main concern) was using DEWD. I had to create my own tables for the forms.

Tables are not flexible though. thats the catch. Oh well, we can't have everything. Also, we will have another BIG project coming down using contour again and paid version too so I will be in this forum on a constant basis.

The documentation isn't really good. I can't find the necessary methods to do complicated functionality like I wanted to do a sub form within a form (dynamic adding of fields). I ended up generating a lot of IDs for one form but some users of the site will only need like 2 or 3 of the repeating fields.. 

Sep 02, 2015 @ 13:37
    denisedelbando

umbraco forms 7 is more customizable. I have no complains of it just yet. and documentation is so much better!! only minor issue is the sortable prevalues. they got rid of this for some reason.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft