Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• William Charlton 171 posts 218 karma points
    Apr 15, 2014 @ 18:28
    William Charlton

Error trying to upload a large file

I am building a site using Contour for a form where customers can upload files. These files can potentially be quite big.

The first file I tested (about 190Mb) threw an error:

HTTP Error 404.13 - Not Found
    The request filtering module is configured to deny a request that exceeds the request content length.

I have increased web.config httpRuntime/maxRequestLength to 819200000 any bigger and it fails with an invalid  int32 error (the largest Int32 number is 2,147,483,647). I can now upload quite large files but still not  the 190Mb.

I also noticed that Contour threw the error before checking that the mandatory fields were complete, surely there should be a client side check before submit??

This raises some questions:

1) 819,200,000 bytes = 781.25Mb so something else is restricting the upload - maybe the applicationhost.config?

2) I appreciate 190 Mb is big and maybe I should restrict to say 50Mb anyway, but how?

3) How can I trap Contour errors?

4) Do I have something missing vis a vis client side validation or does it not exist?

• William Charlton 171 posts 218 karma points
    Apr 15, 2014 @ 20:27
    William Charlton

I have fixed the upload problem (up to 1Gb which should be enough ;).

On http://forums.asp.net/t/1919541.aspx?HTTP+Error+404+13+Not+Found I discovered that "maximumRequestLength is measured in kilobytes" so I had way enough size for my files but I also needed to add:

<security>
          <requestFiltering>
             <!-- This will handle requests up to 1024MB (1GB) -->
             <requestLimits maxAllowedContentLength="1048576000" />
          </requestFiltering>
       </security>

In the <system.webServer/> section

I still want to limit the upload size and trap any errors though.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft