Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• karen 186 posts 461 karma points
    Nov 06, 2014 @ 21:50
    karen

file uploads are not secure?

New to Contour and creating forms.  I have a form with a file upload.  So looks like the file that was uploaded is available via a url, but that url is accessiable by anyone, even if they are not logged in.

So is not secure. Is there anyway to make these uploaded files NOT available just anyone? I understand someone would have to know the exact URL and file name to access the file (and that is highly unlikely), however still need to know these files are secure because they may contain sensitive information.

Is this possible with contour as it is now ?

• Sören Deger 733 posts 2844 karma points c-trib
    Nov 07, 2014 @ 04:55
    Sören Deger

Hi Karen,

you can use this package to solve this:

http://our.umbraco.org/projects/website-utilities/media-protect

Sören

• karen 186 posts 461 karma points
    Nov 07, 2014 @ 17:41
    karen

HI Sören,

Thanks for the suggestion.  Unfortunately these sites are currently on IIS6, so doesn't look like this package will work.

I was thinking though of using IIS to password protect the Contour file upload directory.  Not sure how this will work though.

• Comment author was deleted

Nov 07, 2014 @ 17:53
  • Nicholas Westby 2054 posts 7100 karma points c-trib
    Nov 07, 2014 @ 19:01
    Nicholas Westby

In case anybody is curious, this is where Contour uploads files to:

/Umbraco/Plugins/umbracoContour/files/abcdefgh-1234-abcd-1234-abcdefghijkl/some-file.doc

Part of that path is a GUID that changes for each upload (just tested with Contour 3.0.23-Build.20). So, this is the folder you'd want to protect with IIS (haven't tried it myself):

/Umbraco/Plugins/umbracoContour/files/

I imagine Umbraco users would still be able to download the files when viewing the form entries, but if not then I think Contour Contrib has a workflow step to attach files with an email, and I imagine security could be configured to allow certain Umbraco users to have access to the folder.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft