Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Leon 101 posts 489 karma points
    Apr 30, 2015 @ 18:57
    Leon

umbraco forms 404 errors

I have just bought a licence for umbraco forms. All works fine on localhost, but on my test site, I get the following (I did put the .lic file in the bin folder):

In the "admin" section under forms, I get 404 errors for: umbraco/backoffice/UmbracoForms/Form/GetOverView umbraco/backoffice/UmbracoForms/Updates/GetUpdateStatus umbraco/backoffice/UmbracoForms/Licensing/GetLicenseStatus umbraco/backoffice/UmbracoForms/Form/GetOverView

How can I "reset" the umbraco forms to a place where I can install them from the start?

Please help.

Leon

• Dennis Aaen 4499 posts 18254 karma points admin hq c-trib
    Apr 30, 2015 @ 22:28
    Dennis Aaen

Hi Leon,

If you don´t have some important forms yet, perhaps you could try to uninstall the Umbraco Forms package and try reinstalled it again. If you can´t installed it from the Umbraco backoffice after uninstalling then try to installed it as a local package. https://our.umbraco.org/wiki/how-tos/packages-and-projects/how-to-install-a-package

You can download the zipfile with the Umbraco Forms package here: https://our.umbraco.org/projects/developer-tools/umbraco-forms The way you can uninstall a package is by go to the developer section --> packages --> installed packages --> click on the package that you want to uninstall, and click on the uninstall tab at the dashborad.

Hope this can help you to get the form module working.

/Dennis

May 01, 2015 @ 11:06
    Leon

Thanks Dennis.

I haven't installed the umbraco forms as a "package". The forms tab on was always there on the left and then I clicked something to install it. Do you know how I can "manually" uninsall forms by delete certain files / updating something in the database?

Leon

• Dennis Aaen 4499 posts 18254 karma points admin hq c-trib
    May 01, 2015 @ 11:11
    Dennis Aaen

Hi Leon,

I don´t know how you can removed delete certain files / updating something in the database, but you can uninstalled it by use the following go to the developer section --> packages --> installed packages --> click on the package that you want to uninstall, and click on the uninstall tab at the dashborad.

/Dennis

May 01, 2015 @ 11:20
    Leon

Thanks Denis.

I also thought I could just uninstall the package by clicking the relevent link in the developr section, but the options to uninstall that package isn't there.

That's my point, I know how to uninstall a previously installed package, but the umbraco forms was never a normal package, so I don't have that option to uninstall it in the "installed packages".

Do you have any other suggestions? I'm close to starting a new umbraco project from scratch and copying over all my previous styles and views.

Leon

• Matthew Kirschner 323 posts 611 karma points
    May 01, 2015 @ 15:49
    Matthew Kirschner

@Leon,

Have you tried making an issue on the issue tracker?

I remember having a similar issue (404s on controller actions) and had to wait until a new update was released.

Maybe you could force an update? I think you could do this by assigning a previous version to your Forms version number in /App_Plugins/UmbracoForms/UmbracoForms.config. It should be the 3rd line: <settings version="4.x">.

Good luck and I hope you don't have to start your site over because of a poorly implemented package.

May 01, 2015 @ 16:09
    Leon

Thanks for trying to help me. I tried changing the version number and then recycling the app pool, but no luck. It's a bit irritating, but I like umbraco, so will keep trying.

May 01, 2015 @ 16:21
    Matthew Kirschner

Yeah, Umbraco's great but the packages can be a crap shoot.

If you do go the route of restarting from scratch, perhaps you could try Contour instead of Forms. I've heard it still works on Umbraco 7 and is more stable and has more features than Forms. I wish I had given it a shot but I was led to believe that Contour wasn't supported anymore on current versions of Umbraco. It also didn't help that Forms is such an attractive package thanks to its slick interface.

May 01, 2015 @ 16:49
    Leon

I've bought a license for umbraco forms. Do you think the same license will work with Contour?

May 01, 2015 @ 17:02
    Matthew Kirschner

Absolutely, though the steps to include the license in your project may be different.

If you do go with Contour, I'd love to hear about your experiences with it compared to Forms.

May 01, 2015 @ 17:05
    Leon

I'm not so sure about contour. Before installing, it comes up with a warning - this package contains legacy property editors which are not compatible with Umbraco 7

It might be my only option, so I've taken a backup and I'll try it, but not holding much hope.

Leon

May 01, 2015 @ 17:09
    Leon

Ok, I've tried to install it, but no luck as it comes up with Database conflicts in foreign key constraints with "UFForms" which I suspect was put there by some previous version of Umbraco Forms or something. What a mess. Looks like I'll just have to start from scratch.

May 01, 2015 @ 17:09
    Matthew Kirschner

After re-reading your initial post, I wonder if your issues with Forms on your server stem from your Publishing process. Just to be sure, have you tried to re-include the Forms files in your project? There's a chance that something could be left out of the Publish operation.

You could do this in Visual Studio by navigating to /App_Plugins, right clicking the UmbracoForms directory and selecting Exclude from Project. This may take a minute but when it's done you should right click the folder again and select Include in Project. You may have to check the Show All Files option in your Solution Explorer in order to see the directory once it's been excluded. All relevant Forms files should now be included whenever you Publish.

May 01, 2015 @ 17:10
    Matthew Kirschner

Oh yeah, you don't want to install Contour with an existing Forms installation. I mentioned that you should do this only if you were starting from scratch but I guess I should have been more clear.

EDIT: Assuming you aren't already, always "check-in" your project to source control and back-up your database when installing packages. This way you could avoid starting from scratch all the time. I've seen seemingly innocuous packages ruin a site due to breaking changes in Umbraco versions. Usually a simple uninstall will fix this, but sometimes it's not that simple and can be a nightmare to debug.

EDIT 2: I can see from an earlier comment that you are doing backups so never mind ; )

May 01, 2015 @ 17:35
    Leon

Hi Matthew.

You really help me to think out the box. I might just deploy my dev version with its database (forms work on there) and see if I can do it that way.

When you mentioned that maybe the relevant files weren't included in the deploy, I thought you were onto something and I was ever so hopeful, but unfortunately, no luck.

May 01, 2015 @ 17:52
    Matthew Kirschner

Dang, I thought I might have been on to something as well. New files not getting included in the project is something that has bit me in the butt a few times so I'm pretty keen on watching that now. Whenever I update Umbraco (without nuget), I've made it a habit to re-include the /Umbraco and /Umbraco_Client folders to make sure any new files make the leap to the server.

Since we're on the topic, I might as well mention another "Gotcha" with Forms. Any new form or template you create will not be stored in the database. These files are located in /AppPlugins/UmbracoForms/Data/forms . So if the entire UmbracoForms folder is included in your project, any Publish you make will carry over these forms. This could be good if you want to carry over your forms from dev to server, but bad when you overwrite an edited form on the server with an old dev version. If you stick with Forms, I recommend excluding the /AppPlugins/UmbracoForms/Data folder from your project after the initial Publish.

Also, please take everything I say with a grain of salt since I'm still a relative noob to Umbraco and MVC.

May 01, 2015 @ 18:20
    Leon

Hi Matthew.

You're a freekin genious after all. I published and deployed my dev branch to UAT and it still didn't work. I then just copied the raw files over (without doing a publish) and it worked. There is obviously something somewhere that is not being included where it should be (not sure where yet).

Thanks for all your help.

Leon

May 01, 2015 @ 18:27
    Matthew Kirschner

Glad to hear : )

Out of curiosity, what is your publishing method?

For my projects I've been using the simple file system publish in Visual Studio. It works 99% of the time but will rarely skip over some files, even though they've definitely been updated. I'm still not sure why this happens.

May 01, 2015 @ 18:34
    Leon

I have 2 branches - dev and uat which I manage in git - I'm still getting familiar with what the best way is to do this. UAT progresses differently to dev as people add content. When I deploy, I use Visual Studio 2013 and do a "publish" to the file system.

I've found that there isn't really a straight forward way to do deployments. Was looking at getting "courier", but seeing as how I've just started using Umbraco, I can't justify it just yet.

May 01, 2015 @ 18:59
    Matthew Kirschner

In my experience, file system deployments with Umbraco are simple enough. I'm sure that there are several files and directories that I'm carrying over to production that aren't necessary, but I haven't seen any docs that spell out what files are vital to Umbraco. FYI, leave out /App_Data/Temp and also /Media (so you don't overwrite live images).

It's the database deployment that I've found to be tricky to do by hand. I use Red Gate to compare and merge database changes, but I'm always anxious when I do this since I feel I'm one ID conflict away from screwing over my production site. So far so good, though. Courier is supposed to alleviate this complexity, however the trial is localhost only for whatever reason. I may be missing something here but in order to properly gauge the usefulness of Courier, one would need to have it on the server as well wouldn't they? Maybe someone else could chime in on this.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft