Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Rasmus Fjord 675 posts 1566 karma points c-trib
    Jun 08, 2015 @ 09:53
    Rasmus Fjord

Creating a "seats" property that counts down from every added post

Hey there

i want to create a custom contour property that counts down from a value set on the form it self, so that only 10 could sign up for a form. Like reservations. Ive read the examples i could find but im missing a key ingridient.

Is there a way to update the "defaultValue" on a form when an entry is saved ? so that i could use it as a "countdown". Is there an event or something like it I could hook into.

• Comment author was deleted

Jun 08, 2015 @ 10:26

Hey Rasmus, I can share an example of how we handle it on the cg site if that would be helpful.. it's slightly different from the way you describe it is a working solution...

Jun 08, 2015 @ 10:27
    Rasmus Fjord

That would be awesome Tim

Jun 08, 2015 @ 10:41

In Umbraco we have event content pages where the doctype for those pages has a property maxAttendees, on the template we added the form...

When submitting the form it will create new attendee subnodes of the event page (you can just use the default save as umbraco document workflow for that)

But of course we need to prevent the form from submitting when the max attendees count has been met

Basicly that check happens when validating the form (for that you'll need to subscribe to the correct event)

https://gist.github.com/TimGeyssens/f6a0a5118eca63296d40

The example is for Forms, if you are using Contour look for the Umbraco.Forms.Mvc.Controllers.FormRenderController.FormValidate event (rest of the code should be similar)

On your template it's now also easy to hide the form when the max count is met

That's the quick intro, you need more details just let me know

Jun 08, 2015 @ 11:07
    Rasmus Fjord

Arh yea that is an easier and prettier solution and makes complete sense.

Just out of pure curiosity is it possible through the API to change the the "form" it self, and its fields, just like my original thought was ? 

Jun 08, 2015 @ 12:57

It is possible, but wouldn't be the recommended approach, since several people can load the form in the initial state and then change it simultaneously

Jun 08, 2015 @ 14:40
    Rasmus Fjord

Nah i wont take that approach either, ill make it node based and hook into the event.

Jun 15, 2015 @ 07:06
    Rasmus Fjord

Thx for the help tim, couldnt mark your answer as the answer for some reason :( So marked my own so it got "answered".

Jun 15, 2015 @ 07:46

No problem, glad I could help :)

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft