Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Thomas Morris 35 posts 133 karma points MVP c-trib
    Oct 09, 2015 @ 10:26
    Thomas Morris

Database limit on fields in Contour

Hi all,

I wasn't quite sure where to place this so I thought I'd share via the forum.*

Recently ran in to a problem with Contour whereby the forms would not save and all we would receive in the UI would be a 'Failed to save form' message.

Initially I thought it might be something to do with the max json length for the webservice request, so I increased that and was still getting the same error.

Investigating the request, it just returns false. Investigating the logs, and it looks like there is a SQL error. Turns out that there is a database limit on these fields (and RegEx and DataSourceField)...

• Caption (250 chars)
    • Tooltip (250 chars)
    • DefaultValue (250 chars)
    • RequiredErrorMessage (250 chars)
    • InvalidErrorMessage (250 chars)

Now these limits seem reasonable to most, but some clients may use a caption which is greater than that length for example. The UI does not prevent them from entering more than 250 chars, so it is perfectly feasible that they might encounter errors. A simple maxlength property on the text input should do the trick. In addition, it might be useful to increase this limit in the database.

With Umbraco Forms this looks to be fixed as it is using a json file to group all this information, but I thought I'd raise it for anyone having similar issues with Contour.

*I'm not sure of the level of support that Contour will receive going forward now Umbraco Forms is around and so the issue tracker didn't seem like a good fit.

• keilo 568 posts 1023 karma points
    Sep 28, 2016 @ 11:27
    keilo

I came across this while exploring if tooltip length can be extended.

Assuming the support no longer exists for Contour, would be interested to hear your thoughts if its safe to extend its field length.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft