Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Topic author was deleted

Jan 16, 2016 @ 17:53

400k UFRecordFields for 21 forms

Working on a site that was recently upgraded from v4 to v7. The Contour instance was upgraded to Umbraco Forms.

When looking at the DB, there are about 400K records in the UFRecordFields table and only 21 forms. The table UFRecordDataStringhas about 400K as well. It's appears that over the 5 years of use of Contour that about 34K forms have been submitted.

Curious why so many entries for so few forms. I was expecting a large size for the data, but not for the fields.

Does Umbraco Forms store a new copy of the field with the data each time a submission occurs?

Looking to explain why Umbraco Forms takes up so much DB space. Any way to trim down on the size?

Regards,

Kevin

• Warren Buckley 2106 posts 4836 karma points MVP ∞ admin hq c-trib
    Jan 18, 2016 @ 21:24
    Warren Buckley

Hiya Kevin,
    I have recently joined the team at Umbraco HQ to help work on the 'Forms' product.

So this would be a good exercise for me to look into and learn the DB Schema, but my initial thoughts on why there are so many records in that DB table is that it is keeping a state of the fields that form has for that submission. So for example if the form questions/fields changed text over time that the data matches up to the form submission in that point of time.

So if the form field was ' What is your favourite colour?' and then over time it got changed to 'What is your favourite car?' then the responses would look odd. Again this is my 2cents from an initial thought.

When I get back to the desk at the office tomorrow I will investigate the DB schema and let you know for certain.

Cheers,
    Warren

• Comment author was deleted

Jan 18, 2016 @ 22:54

Yep, I suspect you are right.

If that assumption holds true, maybe in a future version, only unique values need to be stored instead of redundant values.

No rush on the answer, just trying to understand the 'why' and giving some feedback.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft