Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Francielle 65 posts 279 karma points
    Jan 28, 2016 @ 10:23
    Francielle

Umbraco Forms - Stuck in Downloading and Upgrading

Hi guys, After receiving your e-mail concerning security issues in Umbraco Forms I started updating clients' websites that use it. I was able to update a development environment quite easily, but I'm trying to update Umbraco Forms in our live environment and it is stuck in that "Downloading and Upgrading forms" message. I'm updating it through the Update button inside the backoffice. My current Umbraco version is 7.3.0

• Richard Thompson 100 posts 336 karma points
    Jan 28, 2016 @ 10:43
    Richard Thompson

I'm trying to install the update as a local package but I'm getting the following error:

Could not upload file
    System.Exception: Error unpacking extension... ---> System.IO.FileLoadException: Loading this assembly would produce a different grant set from other instances. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80131401) at System.Web.Security.RolePrincipal..ctor(SerializationInfo info, StreamingContext context) at System.AppDomain.CreateInstanceAndUnwrap(String assemblyName, String typeName) at Umbraco.Core.Packaging.PackageBinaryInspector.ScanAssembliesForTypeReference[T](String dllPath, String[]& errorReport) at umbraco.cms.businesslogic.packager.Installer.LoadConfig(String tempDir) at umbraco.cms.businesslogic.packager.Installer.Import(String InputFile) — End of inner exception stack trace — at umbraco.cms.businesslogic.packager.Installer.Import(String InputFile) at umbraco.presentation.developer.packages.Installer.uploadFile(Object sender, EventArgs e)

• Warren Buckley 2106 posts 4836 karma points MVP ∞ admin hq c-trib
    Jan 28, 2016 @ 11:20
    Warren Buckley

Hello Richard,
    I have not seen this error before and have looked into the problem and it seems to be a problem in the .NET Framework when performing searches for Loading this assembly would produce a different grant set from other instances.

Recommended approaches have been:

• Stop IIS
    • Delete Files from Temporary ASP.NET Cache Folder
    • Restart IIS & see if this resolves the problem

http://www.glass.lu/Blog/Archive/Error%20Loading%20this%20assembly%20would%20produce%20a%20different%20grant%20set%20from%20other%20instances

http://www.neilpullinger.co.uk/2008/12/loading-this-assembly-would-produce.html

Let me know please Richard, if this is fixed by following this advice in the articles above?

Thanks,
    Warren

Jan 28, 2016 @ 12:08
    Richard Thompson

Hi Warren,

Thanks for your help. We've tried clearing the .net cache but unfortunately this hasn't helped us.

Jan 28, 2016 @ 16:28
    Warren Buckley

Hello Richard,
    Are you still seeing the same error or exception or has it changed?

Thanks,
    Warren

Jan 29, 2016 @ 09:03
    Richard Thompson

Hi Warren,

It's still the same exception.

Richard

Jan 29, 2016 @ 15:27
    Warren Buckley

Hello Richard,
    Can you provide some details on how you are installing Umbraco Forms 4.1.5 please and any further details about your environment setup, so that we can try to replicate the problem.

Many Thanks,
    Warren

Feb 01, 2016 @ 10:12
    Richard Thompson

Hi Warren,

I've tried two methods to install Umbraco Forms. The first is through the packages section of the back office, browsing for Umbraco Forms and selecting install.

The second approach I've tried is to download the latest version from the package page on our and installing it as a local package.

I've asked our hosting team to provide environment details and I'll pass them on when I receive them.

Mar 18, 2016 @ 09:41
    Richard Thompson

Hi Warren,

I've received the following information from our hosting team:

Windows Server 2012R2 w/ IIS + SQL Server 2012 Web Edition, kept up to date with all appropriate patches .Net 3.5 / 4 installed ESET Antivirus installed

If there is anything else you would like to know specifically let me know and I'll ask them.

Mar 21, 2016 @ 09:05
    Warren Buckley

Hello Richard,
    Is this still a problem for you with version 4.2.1 of Umbraco Forms?

I would recommend looking at the UmbracoLogFiles to see if there is any clues you could give me to help you figure this problem out.

Many Thanks,
    Warren

Mar 21, 2016 @ 10:48
    Richard Thompson

Morning Warren,

I've just tried with version 4.2.1 and unfortunately am having the same problem.

I get the following stack trace in the logs after I try:

2016-03-21 10:38:31,350 [P6416/D2/T17] ERROR Umbraco.Core.UmbracoApplicationBase - An unhandled exception occurred
    System.Web.HttpUnhandledException (0x80004005): Exception of type 'System.Web.HttpUnhandledException' was thrown. ---> System.Exception: Error unpacking extension... ---> System.IO.FileLoadException: Loading this assembly would produce a different grant set from other instances. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80131401)
       at System.Web.Security.RolePrincipal..ctor(SerializationInfo info, StreamingContext context)
       at System.AppDomain.CreateInstanceAndUnwrap(String assemblyName, String typeName)
       at Umbraco.Core.Packaging.PackageBinaryInspector.ScanAssembliesForTypeReference[T](String dllPath, String[]& errorReport)
       at umbraco.cms.businesslogic.packager.Installer.LoadConfig(String tempDir)
       at umbraco.cms.businesslogic.packager.Installer.Import(String InputFile)
       --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
       at umbraco.cms.businesslogic.packager.Installer.Import(String InputFile)
       at umbraco.presentation.developer.packages.Installer.Page_Load(Object sender, EventArgs e)
       at System.Web.Util.CalliEventHandlerDelegateProxy.Callback(Object sender, EventArgs e)
       at System.Web.UI.Control.OnLoad(EventArgs e)
       at umbraco.BasePages.BasePage.OnLoad(EventArgs e)
       at System.Web.UI.Control.LoadRecursive()
       at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint)
       at System.Web.UI.Page.HandleError(Exception e)
       at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint)
       at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequest(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint)
       at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequest()
       at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestWithNoAssert(HttpContext context)
       at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequest(HttpContext context)
       at ASP.umbraco_developer_packages_installer_aspx.ProcessRequest(HttpContext context)
       at System.Web.HttpApplication.CallHandlerExecutionStep.System.Web.HttpApplication.IExecutionStep.Execute()
       at System.Web.HttpApplication.ExecuteStep(IExecutionStep step, Boolean& completedSynchronously)

Jan 28, 2016 @ 11:13
    Warren Buckley

Hello Francielle,
    Sorry to hear you are having problems updating the Umbraco Forms product to 4.1.5.

I would recommend you upgrade Umbraco Forms in your development environment and deploy the changes to your live site/environment as you normally would to ensure the changes get picked up & most likely under source control in your company's website deployment workflow.

However you should be able to update directly on a live site. Is it possible to have your browser's Developer Tools open and monitor the console for any errors or any network requests that are returning a 400 or 500 error message that I can help investigate the problem.

Many Thanks,
    Warren

Jan 28, 2016 @ 11:18
    Francielle

Hi Warren,

Here's the console log.

enter image description here

Jan 28, 2016 @ 11:24
    Warren Buckley

OK thanks Francielle,
    That gives us a starting point. So something on the server is having a problem installing the package.

You should be able to inspect the 500 error is returning in the Chrome Developer Tools. By ensuring the Developer Tools is open and making the request again.

In the Network tab you will see all the requests the browser is making, there should be a red one for the 500 error to umbraco/backoffice/UmbracoForms/Updates/InstallLatest?version=4.1.5 and in there you should see the response which should give us some more clues as to why this is happening.

Thanks,
    Warren

Jan 28, 2016 @ 11:27
    Francielle

Hi Warren,

Not sure the response is really helpful:

enter image description here

The dev environment is using this exact same server, so I'm not sure what would be the issue that generates the error on the live site.

Jan 28, 2016 @ 11:37
    Warren Buckley

OK that is not a super helpful 500 error message is it is, let's carry on debugging the problem.

Can you see any errors or issues in App_Data/Logs/UmbracoTraceLog.txt that point to the request?

Jan 28, 2016 @ 12:07
    Francielle

Hi Warren,

This is the latest log:

2016-01-28 19:27:26,872 [P35052/D3/T54] INFO umbraco.BusinessLogic.Log - Log scrubbed. Removed all items older than 2016-01-27 19:27:26 2016-01-28 19:39:57,949 [P35052/D3/T9] ERROR Umbraco.Web.Strategies.ServerRegistrationEventHandler - Failed to update server record in database. System.OutOfMemoryException: Exception of type 'System.OutOfMemoryException' was thrown. at Go3066(RegexRunner ) at System.Text.RegularExpressions.RegexRunner.Scan(Regex regex, String text, Int32 textbeg, Int32 textend, Int32 textstart, Int32 prevlen, Boolean quick, TimeSpan timeout) at System.Text.RegularExpressions.Regex.Run(Boolean quick, Int32 prevlen, String input, Int32 beginning, Int32 length, Int32 startat) at System.Text.RegularExpressions.Regex.IsMatch(String input) at Umbraco.Core.Persistence.Database.AddSelectClause[T](String sql) at Umbraco.Core.Persistence.Database.

Jan 28, 2016 @ 13:30
    Warren Buckley

OK Francielle,
    It seems to be according to this log I am seeing a lot of 'System.OutOfMemoryException' was thrown I would check the server running the site for the upgrade has not run out of memory.

Alternatives would be to restart the site or follow other resources on the internet to do with System.OutOfMemoryException such as this & many others.

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/webtopics/archive/2009/05/22/troubleshooting-system.outofmemoryexceptions-in-asp.net.aspx

Let me know if restarting the site has helped resolve this problem.

Thanks,
    Warren

Jan 29, 2016 @ 17:22
    Francielle

Just to give a closing to my topic:

1) Was able to upgrade through "Update Now" button in my dev environment.

2) Tried to update using "Update Now" in production to no success. Both Dev and Prod are under the same server.

3) Tried copying the files from Umbraco Forms from dev to Prod. Got errors in PostSave method.

4) Copied dev environment to prod and changed bindings.

Number 4 was my solution, not the best, but what was possible to do.

• Shannon Deminick 1524 posts 5270 karma points MVP 2x
    Feb 05, 2016 @ 09:28
    Shannon Deminick

If you are getting this (very strange) error, I'm pretty sure this will happen with any package that contains binaries, not just Forms. Please confirm.

Feb 08, 2016 @ 09:19
    Richard Thompson

I've seen the Error unpacking extension error with another package, can't remember which one it was I'm afraid.

• Shannon Deminick 1524 posts 5270 karma points MVP 2x
    Mar 21, 2016 @ 12:32
    Shannon Deminick

Hi all,

The issue is environment specific. It has to do with installed GAC'd + COM assemblies. Here's all of my notes and how to fix this:

All of my investigation points towards loading in an assembly that is already loaded and/or calls COM. In any case, option #3 is most likely the problem, otherwise #4 will solve the problem too but it's not as ideal.

Relates to a GAC'd assembly http://blogs.msdn.com/b/chaun/archive/2009/04/02/a-slippery-system-io-fileloadexception.aspx

showed that somehow this assembly has a different "SecurityDescriptor" in the "Shared Domain." The calling assembly MyCustomDLL.Base.DLL is not present in GAC and so it gets loaded in LoadFrom loader context. Now when calling assembly tries to load the assembly **.dll, fusion sees that it is GACed and already loaded in Load Context as a domain neutral assembly.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2282372

Loading in an assembly that calls interop methods - most likely from the GAC

https://community.appdynamics.com/t5/Knowledge-Base/SharePoint-Instrumentation-ConfigurationChannel-Exception/ta-p/19696 https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/system.web.configuration.trustsection.legacycasmodel(v=vs.110).aspx

Trust issue - but a setting I've not seen before There's instructions to change ensure this setting in the web.config and if it's not possible then there is a registry option too

https://community.dynamics.com/ax/b/ax2012r3technicalconsultantblog/archive/2015/05/12/dynamics-ax-2012-r3-report-deployment-error-with-visual-studio-2013-loading-this-assembly-would-produce-a-different-grant-set-from-other-instances

COMPLUS_LoadedOptimization environment variable Also indicates its an issue of an assembly calling interop/COM methods

How to fix - try these in this order:

1. Ensure your IIS Application Pool is configured to use .Net Version 4 with Integrated Pipeline and not enabling 32 bit applications

2. Try to add the to your web.config in the

3. Check your GAC to see if there are any assemblies registered there that seem unfamiliar - more specifically if there are any assemblies in the GAC that call into COM interop assemblies. Uninstall these assemblies from the GAC if you can and re-test.

4. Add the COMPLUS_LoaderOptimization environment variable, follow these instructions: http://bit.ly/23YznN1 - alternatively another option is to modify the registry as seen at the bottom of this article: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/2bh4z9hs(v=vs.110).aspx - then restart IIS and re-test.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft