Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Fergus Davidson 309 posts 588 karma points
    May 15, 2010 @ 21:55
    Fergus Davidson

contour querystring workaround? help please.

hi

i know this has been asked a few times, but i have seen no really satisfactory, clear answer

can you either populate a contour form field with a querystring parameter, or reference the querystring in some way.

i am not really a coder, so the pdf explaining the contour api does not really help me, i have searched and can find no satisfactory solution.

if this is not possible, i have to say i am a little surprised. 

all i want to do is this:

i have a number of events on a site which the user can register for. once the user has read about the event, he can click to register. this form will log not only his details, but also needs to log the course that he wishes to attend. rather than have him select the course again i need to have this passed through.

it is not so much of a problem in the CMS as i can identify the page that the request was sumbitted from, though this is not ideal. but the email that is sent really ought to contain this information.

i either want the info to be inserted into a field in the database, or for me to have a dropdown of all events which can be preselected with the one he has clicked from.

as i said, i am not a .net coder of any great ability so i need any explanation to be fairly clear.

can anyone help??

• Fergus Davidson 309 posts 588 karma points
    May 15, 2010 @ 23:06
    Fergus Davidson

right, i think i have sorted a workaround [finally]

in case anyone else needs:

when i am clicking to the form page i am now passing a querystring value ?ref=identifying-term

on the workflow, i am including the following in the email response:

"a user is attending the following event: [@ref]"

this then appears on the top of the email

it is not what i was wanting, ideally, but it does solve a problem at least for the moment.

what i actually need is to create a new field type - something which i need more help on - if anyone has a quick tutorial [for dummies] on how to do this, i will be eternally grateful]

[... cue a flood of tutorials on contour fieldtype creation]

• Bruce Clark 56 posts 80 karma points
    May 25, 2010 @ 18:46
    Bruce Clark

I also have questons about how to create a field type. And would enjoy seeing some sort of standardized tutorial on the matter. Maybe a video example? Also, I was looking for query string information as well, this is helpful and I'll try your solution and see if it can accomplish what I need, thanks!

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft