Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• James Drever 118 posts 149 karma points
    Apr 06, 2011 @ 18:12
    James Drever

transferring a document containing a dropdown datatype

I'm using Courier 1.3 on Umbraco 4.7.  I'm trying to transfer a document that contains a dropdown datatype that I've created with 3 pre values.  The datatype is set up on the site that the document is being transferred to, and the transfer appears to happen ok - no errors come up.  However, the selected values for the datatype aren't carried over to the destination site, the drop down is unselected.  I'm not sure if Courier needs an entry in courier.config, but these aren't media/content data types, so I would have presumed that Courier would handle them ok.

If anyone has any thoughts/has dealt with this problem already, I'd be really grateful for the guidance.

• Dan Okkels Brendstrup 101 posts 197 karma points
    Sep 19, 2011 @ 11:36
    Dan Okkels Brendstrup

Oh man, I wish this bug was fixed when it was first reported six months ago. We just experienced it on a 4.7.0 site running Courier 2, and it nearly f'ed up our entire product catalog of several thousand products.

We have a document type that includes two custom dropdown datatypes, based on the built-in "Dropdown list" datatype, with a handful of prevalues. Turns out that Courier included these datatypes as dependencies in a deployment, and decided to updated the "Value" integers to new values. The result, as James Drever descibes, is that the dropdown appears "unselected" when a node is subsequently open in the backoffice, and if the node is published, the previously selected value disappears from the database.

I hope this can be fixed in the next release of Courier.

• Per Ploug 865 posts 3491 karma points MVP admin
    Sep 19, 2011 @ 20:29
    Per Ploug

Hi Dan

Well, what James is describing is an issue with Courier 1.3, which in regard to code and architecture has nothing to do with Courier 2.0.

In your case, Courier has swapped the original values with the ones in your deployment, and due to umbraco 4s architecture, the IDs also update, which is what breaks your site.

I believe this issue has been worked with in the latest release of Courier 2, which is 2.1.1, where Courier checks to see if the pre-entered values already exist before updating them, which is what has happened in your case.

• Rouslan Grabar 2 posts 22 karma points
    Nov 27, 2011 @ 09:23
    Rouslan Grabar

I have just exepreienced the same side effect. I have a prevalue with published keys field in one of my datatypes. I transfered content from dev server to staging one and now the IDs of preValues are different, so this effectively breaks what was selected in the dropdowns.

Moreover I experienced another trouble -  I have to confess that in my macros I used hardcoded id values for the dropdown on my dev server, so the macros do not work either.  The proper way to use umbraco.library.GetPreValues(...) is not helping either, because the method takes the ID of datatype and the IDs of my dropdown datatype on the staging server and on the dev server are not the same! 

• Per Ploug 865 posts 3491 karma points MVP admin
    Nov 29, 2011 @ 10:51
    Per Ploug

If it happens, i should only happen the first time you transfer, if a datatype already contains prevalues, those IDs should not change. 

If you reference these id's in your content, courier should change the ids automaticly to the new ones

There is no way around that a transfered datatype will get new ideas when it is created the first time, that is simply unavoidable due to the way the database is setup

• Rouslan Grabar 2 posts 22 karma points
    Nov 29, 2011 @ 10:56
    Rouslan Grabar

Thanks, but looks like it does not happen in practice. I had to switch type to Drowdown (without keys) to make it work (but I do not like idea populating content with values, rather than keys). The multiselect dropdown based datatype does not get properly transferred (neither with or without publishing keys work)

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft