Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Peter Nielsen 159 posts 257 karma points
    Jun 17, 2011 @ 10:19
    Peter Nielsen

Moving old Umbraco solution to new... will this work?!

Hi everybody,

Ive got a new project. To move an Umbraco site from one server to another. The problem is that i cant get into the SQL and make a backup, so I can move the database.

So my thought was that I could use Courier to move the site with. The next problem is that the site runs on a Umbraco ver. 4.0.3, so I cant use Courier 2, so I guess i should use the old one?!

How much can I move with this version of Courier? And can I move it to a current version of Umbraco (4.7) (perhaps with the old schema enabled?!) :-)

Are there other ways? Maybe create .NET page to create the SQL backup dump? Or is there an good export package to move an old version?!

Looking forward to here some solutions?! :-)

/Peter

• Morten Bock 1867 posts 2140 karma points MVP 2x admin c-trib
    Jun 17, 2011 @ 14:20
    Morten Bock

I think there are efforts being made to make Courier 2.x also work on version 4.0.x of umbraco. the database schema is the same as far as I know, so it should not be too difficult to do this.

Maybe try and get at hold of Per and see if Courier 2 might not still be the way to go.

Alternatively, you could opt to upgrade the current website to 4.7.x, and then install courier after that?

I think there are also some web apps out there that function like a web based database admin tool, so maybe they would be able to export a complete xql script for you?

Jun 17, 2011 @ 14:21
    Jun 18, 2011 @ 18:46
    Peter Nielsen

Well.. I can in the Courier manual that theese are the Requirements:

Umbraco v. 4.0.3+ (thats good)

.NET ver. 3.5+ (thats bad... Mine only run 2.0) :-(

So maybe it is the webbased sql admin tools i should look in to. 

Jun 18, 2011 @ 19:25
    Morten Bock

You might want to double check the .Net version. .Net 3.5 is only an extensions to the 2.0 runtime, so even though the app pool settings are set to .Net 2.0, you might have 3.5 on your server.

Jun 23, 2011 @ 10:08
    Peter Nielsen

Yeah okay... I found another solution... I got the sql-backup file from the host instead. We'd had to pay for that, but it was a more safe solution :-)

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft