Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Jonathan Lathigee 56 posts 99 karma points
    Jul 06, 2011 @ 20:52
    Jonathan Lathigee

Datatype based on RadioButton List reassigns keys on *any* Courier transfer, unlinking instances of DataType

I know, a convoluted topic title.

I have a custom DataType called "myPicker" using radiobutton list as its render control and with 3 prevalues: "Option 1", "Option 2", "Option 3". The ID values are system assigned, currently 32, 33, 34

I have a document type ("Item Page") with a tab and a property using this DataType

I have a series of pages in my site, based on this document type. They live, structurally, deeper in the site. eg:

home
    -- Section Page 1
    -- Section Page 2
    -- -- Item Page 1
    -- -- Item Page 2

When I courier Section Page 1 and all of its children to from staging to prod, the ID values of the "myPicker" change (to, like, 111, 112, 113), but that's ok because the references in the Item Pages are updated as well (eg, if "Option 1" was selected in staging, it's still selected in prod)

*HOWEVER*

If I later courier only Item Page 2 from staging to prod, the ID values are again updated (to, like, 114, 115, 116), Item Page 2 has its reference correctly migrated, but Item Page 1 has now been orphaned and no longer references the correct item in myPicker.

*FURTHERMORE*

If I transfer any other site page (eg "Section Page 1"), the IDs are again updated, and *ALL* Item Pages lose their references.

My current workaround is, after *ANY* courier of documents, to re-courier all documents that use the myPicker data type. This is not sustainable, because of the frequency and volume of pages to be Couriered. How can I transfer documents without having to then re-transfer all documents of a certain type?

I think this is a bug, or is there something I'm doing wrong?

Thanks in advance

Jonathan

Jul 06, 2011 @ 22:50
    Jonathan Lathigee

just noticed typo and unable to edit post (xslt parsing error) paragraph:

When I courier Section Page 1 and all of its children to from staging to prod, the ID values of the "myPicker" change (to, like, 111, 112, 113), but that's ok because the references in the Item Pages are updated as well (eg, if "Option 1" was selected in staging, it's still selected in prod)

Should read:

When I courier *Section Page 2* and all of its children to from staging to prod, the ID values of the "myPicker" change (to, like, 111, 112, 113), but that's ok because the references in the Item Pages are updated as well (eg, if "Option 1" was selected in staging, it's still selected in prod)

• Per Ploug 865 posts 3491 karma points MVP admin
    Jul 11, 2011 @ 10:17
    Per Ploug

Hi Jonathan

Thanks for the thorough bug-report, it's added to the next courier release

http://nightly.umbraco.org/UmbracoCourier/2.1.1%20WIP/

Already contains the fix, but its not thoroughly tested yet

/Per

Jul 11, 2011 @ 17:51
    Jonathan Lathigee

Thanks, Per

I'll give that a try when I get a chance.

Jonathan

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft