Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Michiel (NSC) 95 posts 115 karma points
    Jul 27, 2011 @ 19:19
    Michiel (NSC)

http://umbraco.com/log.txt

Not cool, where do I turn this 'feature' off for my project?

Thanks!

PS: Why it's not cool:

1 - Not mentioned in videos or documentation (checked developer docs and installation guide).

2 - Needs more configration to turn off, should be turned off by default and need more configuration to turn on

3 - Error prone: Server was unable to process request. ---> Access to the path 'C:\HostingSpaces\example.com\wwwroot\log.txt' is denied.

4 - Gives too much information about the site, probably not a security issue, but not a comfortable situation either.

• Per Ploug 865 posts 3491 karma points MVP admin
    Aug 08, 2011 @ 13:58
    Per Ploug

Am currently changing the internal logging so this will go away in future releases, but for now, you can turn it off in the /config/courier.config file: 

<settings>
            <debugMode>false</debugMode>
    </settings> 
    Aug 08, 2011 @ 14:12
    Michiel (NSC)

@Per

I would expect <compilation debug="false" /> to be the leading setting, and not each module to be configured separately. I hope the next version will follow this common convention.

• Per Ploug 865 posts 3491 karma points MVP admin
    Aug 08, 2011 @ 14:16
    Per Ploug

Don't think it will follow that.

Why whould you want to put your entire site into debug mode, simply to view logging information on your courier extractions? I agree that it can be improved and possibly turned off by default (and no the log.txt will not be there at all from next version, logging will be stored elsewhere) but you should not be required to change your web.config file or run your site in debugmode to see logging from courier

/Per

Aug 08, 2011 @ 14:23
    Michiel (NSC)

From my perspective definitely turned off by default IF <compilation debug="false" />. 

Also, debugging is different from logging so I suggest changing the name of the setting. As an end user I don't debug Courier per se, but I may want to see a log. I prefer to see the log in the Umbraco UI if that's possible.

Thanks for taking into consideration!

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft