Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Mark Johnston 59 posts 111 karma points
    Aug 07, 2011 @ 16:11
    Mark Johnston

License Question

p.p1 {margin: 0.0px 0.0px 6.0px 0.0px; line-height: 15.0px; font: 12.0px Arial; color: #333233} p.p2 {margin: 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px; line-height: 20.0px; font: 12.0px Arial; color: #333233; min-height: 14.0px} p.p3 {margin: 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px; line-height: 15.0px; font: 12.0px Arial; color: #333233} span.s1 {color: #1a6690}

I had posted a toping on the official support help desk but it has since gone unanswered, it is below but was hoping somebody here would be able to give some advice. I have changed the real websites name to www.websitename.com:

I have bought a Courier 2 Express license for www.websitename.com and looked int he license section of the help area (I believe the What does the license cover is not clear there and sounds like it covers Contour not Courier) and am wanting to know how to handle my license file.

My normal habit is to create my dev install on my test 2008 server at home using hosts files at an address of www.dev.websitename.com and would probably end up creating a site on the production server hosting of www.staging.websitename.com. What would I put into the Development URL's when filling out the license or is this naming structure that I use covered by just using the Top-level Domain?

• Per Ploug 865 posts 3491 karma points MVP admin
    Aug 08, 2011 @ 13:23
    Per Ploug

Hi Mark

I believe I just replied to your ticket on the helpdesk, but to share the answer with everyone else

When you configure your license, you are asked to pick a top-level domain

If enter websitename.com 

this will also cover any subdomain, so that will effectively cover your different staging and dev domains you normally use.

If you have needs beyond a single top-level domain (like an internal network name) you can enter that as one of your 2 available developement domains

/Per

• Phil Dye 149 posts 325 karma points
    Sep 07, 2011 @ 18:47
    Phil Dye

Per,

Can you clarify; if I've got one development/staging URL, publishing to one live/production URL, is that covered by one license (ie €99 for Express), or is that two licenses?  These will almost certainly be one different top-level domains, ie clientname.staging.dhaus.com, and www.clientname.com, but effectively form one "pair" of sites.

Phil

• Phil Dye 149 posts 325 karma points
    Sep 07, 2011 @ 18:52
    Phil Dye

My bad for polluting the forum, but @umbraco has since confirmed that this would need just one license.

• Pieter 19 posts 39 karma points
    Sep 23, 2011 @ 10:39
    Pieter

Hi,

I'm working on Umbraco and have de license (Umbraco PRO) next week. Can you use your demo version and enter a license number, replace a dll in the bin, ....?

• Per Ploug 865 posts 3491 karma points MVP admin
    Sep 23, 2011 @ 10:41
    Per Ploug

Yes, trial versions work just fine, but have some limitations: 

- Contour doesn't save data
    - Courier 2 only runs on localhost

When you get the licenses you can simply login through the license UI in the backoffice or copy a simple .lic file to the /bin folder 

• Pieter 19 posts 39 karma points
    Sep 23, 2011 @ 10:51
    Pieter

Thanks for the very fast answer Per.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft