Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Jesper Hauge 298 posts 487 karma points c-trib
    Sep 30, 2011 @ 10:56
    Jesper Hauge

Transfer public access rights with Courier

Not sure if this has been asked before, but I've searched the forums, and couldn't find anything related to this. So here is my question.

Is it (or will it be) possible to transfer access right with courier? And what do I need to do to make it happen?

Regards
    Jesper Hauge

• Per Ploug 865 posts 3491 karma points MVP admin
    Oct 04, 2011 @ 08:46
    Per Ploug

Hi Jesper

Currently Courier doesn't do anything i regard to access.config file which is what stores the access rights

Will make it a top-priority to ensure that future releases does this, but 2.5 is locked down, so it won't be untill 2.5.1 

If you need it urgently, a custom data resolver can fix it for you tho, but would need a bit of code tho

/Per

Oct 04, 2011 @ 14:27
    Jesper Hauge

Hi Per,

The system in question just went into production, so we'll just keep the right management process as a manual process.

But I will be looking forward to seeing this functionality included in Couier vNext

Regards
    Jesper Hauge 

• Tara 20 posts 40 karma points
    Oct 17, 2011 @ 17:43
    Tara

Hi Jesper

Out of interest what manual process are you using for publishing updated access rights ( access.config file) to other servers? I am having the problem where updating the permissions on 1 server are not being copied to other servers in the group, and I also was looking into Courier.

Any help / suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Oct 18, 2011 @ 09:05
    Jesper Hauge

Hi Tara,

Right now the manual process, is recreating the access rights on the published website, or in other words: We have no process. 

Did you try copying the access.config file manually or via a script to the other servers. If you did and the rights changed from 1 server to others in the group you need to check if the pages have the same id's on different servers. If they do, you are more or less out of luck, and you may have to look into creating you own custom code to replicate the access rights between servers.

Regards
    Jesper Hauge 

• Tara 20 posts 40 karma points
    Oct 18, 2011 @ 11:50
    Tara

Thanks Jesper,

I am copying the access.config file from one server to the the next (same ids) using file replication, but the problem is I need to recycle the app pool before the new permissions take effect. Currently we have to do this manully but I am looking into automating this process as it seems Umbraco does not handle this when updating permissions in a load balanced set up.

Tara

• Marie 14 posts 36 karma points
    Feb 17, 2012 @ 13:31
    Marie

Hi Per

I am new to courier and have just installed 2.5.4.1.  The access.config for the content permissions still isn't getting copied across and the release notes for recent versions don't show this as being included. Is it still on the agenda or should I be looking at using the custom data resolver work around? On a similar note, are there any plans to include members transfer within Courier in the future?

Thanks in advance.

Marie

• Martin Griffiths 826 posts 1269 karma points c-trib
    Dec 04, 2012 @ 11:11
    Martin Griffiths

Hi Per

Any further news on this i'm up to 2.7.3. (39) and there's still no transfer of access rights.

Martin

• Lee Kelleher 4020 posts 15802 karma points MVP 13x admin c-trib
    May 30, 2014 @ 18:21
    Lee Kelleher

Wondering if anyone developed a custom data resolver for the access.config?

• Richard Soeteman 4035 posts 12842 karma points MVP
    Jun 02, 2014 @ 17:04
    Richard Soeteman

Hi Lee,

I did once for Media protect. Same structure different files. I can send you the code if you like? Don't know if it's compatible with the latest version of courier and #usaas

Cheers,

Richard

• Ed Bishop 53 posts 203 karma points
    Sep 09, 2014 @ 11:07
    Ed Bishop

October 4th 2011 was the original post saying this would be fixed in 2.5.1

Any chance we could get a response!

• Ed Bishop 53 posts 203 karma points
    Sep 09, 2014 @ 11:08
    Ed Bishop

Not that this is the only problem in Courier that's been around for 3 years...

Sep 09, 2014 @ 11:14
    Lee Kelleher

@Ed - I raised an issue on the tracker about it: #COU-59 Transfer public access rights

I ended up writing my own custom provider/resolver for access.config, but it only works with Umbraco-as-a-Service's version of Courier, not the regular package (for v4/v6). I'm happy to share the code, but I haven't currently got time/capacity to support it.

Cheers,
    - Lee

• Erin Loy 2 posts 22 karma points
    Jan 15, 2015 @ 23:14
    Erin Loy

#COU-59 is marked as fixed, but I don't see this functionality in Courier_2.11.2.v7. What am I missing?

Jan 16, 2015 @ 11:00
    Lee Kelleher

@Erin - best bet is to comment on #COU-59 ticket itself, see what the status is.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft