Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Morten Bock 1867 posts 2140 karma points MVP 2x admin c-trib
    Mar 08, 2012 @ 14:05
    Morten Bock

Problems installing in 2.5.4.1

I've just tried upgrading to version 2.5.4.1 of Courier, and it seems I am now having trouble installing revisions.

I've had two issues so far:

I create a revision with one macro, and nothing else. Then I click "Compare and Install", and it tells me that there are no items in any of the categories, so there is nothing that can be installed. I'm not sure where to stat with that. If I add two macros to the revisions, then I do get a "2 items will be ignored".

I have the revision mentioned above with just two macros in it. I select them both, and click install. This gives me an alertbox saying "undefined". Using the browser dev tools I can see that the ajax request in the background returns a 500 error with this content:

{"Message":"Length cannot be less than zero.\r\nParameter name: length","StackTrace":" at System.String.InternalSubStringWithChecks(Int32 startIndex, Int32 length, Boolean fAlwaysCopy)\r\n at Umbraco.Courier.Core.ItemIdentifier..ctor(String uniqueKey)\r\n at Umbraco.Courier.UI.Pages.CompareRevision.Deploy(String revision, String ignoreIds, String destination)","ExceptionType":"System.ArgumentOutOfRangeException"}

I tried enabling logging, but I can't see any clues as to what might be failing in there.

Any ideas on how to start debugging?

• Per Ploug 865 posts 3491 karma points MVP admin
    Mar 08, 2012 @ 14:08
    Per Ploug

Hi Morten

I think you should move to 2.6 beta instead, it has an entire new compare and install ui which is more stable and faster as well (plus, you can do remote compare/installs) 

/per

Mar 08, 2012 @ 14:12
    Morten Bock

I actually already tried 2.6 with the same result, so I went back to the more widely used one. But I can give 2.6 another go.

Mar 08, 2012 @ 14:26
    Per Ploug

Do you compare against the same site as you packaged from?, because, yeah then there will be no items it want to install, as they are identical to the current system

Mar 08, 2012 @ 14:57
    Morten Bock

Ok, I've given 2.6 another go, and I was able to reproduce some of the stuff, but now suddenly I am not, which leaves me a bit puzzled. I'm trying to find a way to consistently reproduce the behaviour I am seeing. (Some times it shows up, sometimes it doesn't).

But just to clarify the intended behaviour:

If my revision contains 2 macros and three (built in) macro types, then the total number of items shown when comparing should be 5, divided on the three update-types, right?

Maybe I should try and record my actions in a screencast so you can see what I'm trying to do? :-)

Mar 08, 2012 @ 15:07
    Morten Bock

A bit more info. I now tried creating to identical revisions next to eachother, both with two macros in them. When comparing one of them, it sees that there are 2 items that do not need to be updated, but when comparing the other, I get 0 items in all three categories.

I did a windiff on the two revisions folders on dist, and it turns out that the revision that show "0" has a .couriercompare file with no elements in it. The other revision has content in the file.

What is the meaning of the .couriercompare file? Is it a cache om the compare, or when does I get created/used? What could be the reason for two otherwise identical revisions to have different .couriercompare files?

Mar 09, 2012 @ 14:46
    Per Ploug

The CourierCompare file contains generated hashes for all items in the revision, its just a xml file really

If you created a revision with 2.6 it will automaticly be there, if earlier version its not there

on the todo is to make it generate one if its not in place, or atleast warn you that this is the problem

Mar 09, 2012 @ 14:51
    Morten Bock

In my case, with 2.6, it did create the file, it just contained only the root element, and nothing else.

The weird thing is that it sometimes writes to it, and sometimes not, even though the content of the revisions is the same.

What could be causing this behaviour?

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft