Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• David H 9 posts 29 karma points
    Jul 02, 2012 @ 13:14
    David H

Saving a package with a CourierWebserviceRepositoryProvider gives error

Hi all,

Trying to develop quite a complex application to batch up some changes from one Umbraco installation and then apply them to another.

The pulling part works fine, however when the saving starts I always get the following error:

<Exception><ExceptionType>System.NullReferenceException, mscorlib, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089</ExceptionType><Message>Object reference not set to an instance of an object.</Message><StackTrace>   at Umbraco.Courier.RepositoryProviders.CourierWebserviceRepositoryProvider.SaveResourceContents(ItemIdentifier itemId, Type itemType, Resource resource, String revisionAlias) in c:\Program Files (x86)\teamcity\buildAgent\work\2d3247b08adc3338\Umbraco.Courier.RepositoryProviders\WebserviceProvider\CourierWebserviceRepositoryProvider.cs:line 559

at Umbraco.Courier.Core.Packaging.RevisionPackaging.‚&#x2;()

at Umbraco.Courier.Core.Packaging.RevisionPackaging.Package()

If I change the provider over to the local one then it works fine and since the issue is coming from inside Courier dll's I can't debug further without using a reflector, is this allowed with Courier?

Does anyone have any light to shed on this? Or has anyone successfully used the CourierWebserviceRepositoryProvider to save a revision?

Cheers

Dave Hughes

• Per Ploug 865 posts 3491 karma points MVP admin
    Jul 02, 2012 @ 15:31
    Per Ploug

Hi David

Can you shed some light on what you are trying to do with the revision? maybe a code snippet?

The Core is obfuscated and under a closed license, but the providers are all open source, and in our github repo: 

https://github.com/umbraco/Courier/tree/master/Providers/Umbraco.Courier.RepositoryProviders

which is probably easier then using reflector :)

Jul 02, 2012 @ 16:02
    David H

Ah brilliant, the issue lies here on line 559 of CourierWebServiceRespository.cs:

stringpath=repo.SaveResourceContents(itemId,itemType.ToString(),resource,revisionAlias,loginName,pass);

The method that this is in is SaveResourceContents and it is called with a null value for the 2nd paramater.

The above line then tries to do a .ToString() on the value which causes the null reference exception.

As far as I can tell this happens everytime, I assume it's something to do with the manifest.xml file or the .couriercompare file as these are the only missing files from the revision folder.

I put a conditional in to pass an empty string if the 2nd parameter is null and so far it seems to be working fine.

Cheers

• Per Ploug 865 posts 3491 karma points MVP admin
    Jul 03, 2012 @ 09:07
    Per Ploug

just went through the code, you can safely do that, as the type alias is not used anywhere when the resource is saved to disk

Will put a fix in for 2.7 final

/per

Jul 03, 2012 @ 09:17
    David H

Thats brilliant, thanks for all your help! :)

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft