Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Jonny Irwin 91 posts 153 karma points
    Jul 04, 2012 @ 14:23
    Jonny Irwin

Courier issues caused by read-only files

We have just completed a successful deployment of our site from our dev environment to our test environment using Courier 2.7.0.29 (using a few workarounds for some issues we'd discovered).  I see there has been another 3 or 4 builds since & this may mean some of these workaounds aren't needed - when we have time, I'll try the newer builds.

One issue that we did have with this deployment was, after our initial courier deployment which appeared to complete successfully, we had some masterpages that didn't have the correct content.  Files that should have been around 50 lines long just had the following (as an example):

<%@ Master Language="C#" MasterPageFile="~/umbraco/masterpages/default.master" AutoEventWireup="true" %>
    <asp:Content ContentPlaceHolderID="ContentPlaceHolderDefault" runat="server"> </asp:Content>

We managed to track this down to being caused by certain files in our filesystem being read-only (probably marked as read only by Team Foundation Server).  Making sure that there were no read-only files before the extraction worked fine.

Not a huge issue, but I'm sure other people will probably come across this at some stage - maybe it would be nice either to remove the read-only flag or have an error displayed to the user to say what has happened and why rather than saying that the extraction completed?  (Incidentally, on running the same package a second time, we do get an exception saying can't get access to a read only file).

I must say, the latest versions of Courier are looking very good though - and the speed of packaging and extracting is very impressive for a large site such as ours!!

• Per Ploug 865 posts 3491 karma points MVP admin
    Jul 10, 2012 @ 09:09
    Per Ploug

Hi johnny, 

Thanks for the bug report, it is a valid bug, especcially considering TFS's funky idea of marking files as read-only

I can't put it into 2.7 as that release is locked down, but will add it as a known issue in the release notes and schedual a fix for this in future patch release

/per

• Jonny Irwin 91 posts 153 karma points
    Jul 10, 2012 @ 09:57
    Jonny Irwin

Thanks Per!

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft