Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Bear 40 posts 129 karma points
    Oct 18, 2012 @ 13:05
    Bear

Missing properties on new documents with same doc type

I'm using the full version of Courier.

I have two seperate sites, live and dev and I'm only pulling from live to dev. I have the same doc types on both live and dev, but dev has extra properties. So, when I pull content from live it doesn't add the new property to the content on dev.

The steps I have so far;

• Create a new property on a dev doc type, for example "testField" on doc type "StandardPage".
    • Now go to live and create a new piece of content, with the same doc type "StandardPage", save and publish.
    • Now I pull the new content I just made from live to dev
    • Click on the content tree to view the content and I get the following YSOD error; 
      Value cannot be null.Parameter name: Property testField (326) on Content Type StandardPage could not be retrieved for Document 12345 on Tab Page Content. To fix this problem, delete the property and recreate it.
    Any hints or tips appreciated. 

• Dirk De Grave 4541 posts 6021 karma points MVP 3x admin c-trib
    Oct 18, 2012 @ 13:34
    Dirk De Grave

Bear,

I wouldn't classify this as a Courier issue... As you're pulling data from live to dev, Courier doesn't know your dev env has an extra property on that doc type, so it'll only create properties (and records in cmsPropertyData) for content retrieved from your live dev.

As a result, when you're trying to edit your content on dev, that specific record from cmsPropertyData is NOT available and thus results in ysod.

So far for the explanation. Solutions? Several options...

* Make sure that property also exists on your live env. If you don't want properties to be "seen" by non developers eg, use TabHider or uHidesy packages.

* Create the necessary records in cmsPropertyData so when editing your content, all props will be available.

Cheers,

/Dirk

• Bear 40 posts 129 karma points
    Oct 18, 2012 @ 14:46
    Bear

Cheers Dirk. We did discuss the error and feel that actully the Umbraco UI should be able to handle the fact that if property doesn't exist on a node, it could still show the normal document editing UI, but without that property. Perhaps this is Core issue.

Our third option is to use the Courier API to compare the doc types, get a list of all the properties from both live and dev and apply the missing ones to the node transported to dev.  

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft