Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Nick Meldrum 6 posts 26 karma points
    Nov 05, 2012 @ 17:29
    Nick Meldrum

Problem with extraction exceptions not being passed back correctly

Using Umbraco 4.9.0 and Courier 2.7.1 and automating revision transfer and extraction:

If there is an exception with the extraction (e.g. "access denied" when trying to overwrite a file) the exception is based back in the webservice response and read by System.XML.XMLReader (as part of the Umbraco.Courier.RepositoryProviders.WebServiceProvider.RepositoryWebservice.TransferResources method.)

Unfortunately the stack trace is also included along with the obfuscated courier method names. This causes an exception: "Response is not well-formed XML" in Courier.

This is because the obfuscated method names are using characters which are not valid in XML 1.0, i.e. control character 0x13.

This is frustrating for us as we can't see in our build server logs what the real failure is.

The way I see it this could be fixed in 1 of 2 ways:

1. Somehow get the xml response using XML v1.1 which allows these control characters (not sure if this is easy as it would depend whether you can tell System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapHttpClientProtocol to read the response as XMl 1.1?) or
    2. Just don't pass the stack trace (and therefore the obfuscated method names) back in the error response.
    Make sense?
    Cheers,
     - Nick

• Per Ploug 865 posts 3491 karma points MVP admin
    Nov 07, 2012 @ 13:48
    Per Ploug

Hi Nick

Got the issue reported some days ago (think it was you actually), and I did change the way the method names was obfuscated so it shouldnt break the soap response.

The 2.7.3 RC has this change included

/per

• Nick Meldrum 6 posts 26 karma points
    Nov 08, 2012 @ 11:36
    Nick Meldrum

You are super awesome Per - thanks loads!

(And yeah it was me reported it by email :) - I wasn't sure what was the best way to report this kinda stuff...)

#H5YR ;)

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft