Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Dojo 4 posts 24 karma points
    Jan 02, 2013 @ 15:57
    Dojo

License limitations on using Courier trial

I would like to get the Courier license right. 

On this page http://umbraco.com/follow-us/blog-archive/2011/11/17/how-to-evaluate-courier-25.aspx

I read: "First of all, Courier 2.5 functions completely unrestricted as long as you run it on your local machine. There are zero limitations on the trial version as long as it happens on your machine, and not an internet/intranet server somewhere"

In my situation I will have an intranet umbraco website, but on the other hand the developer server will be exactly the same localhost (a production and test environment, where the test contents are moved to production). 

So how would it be? Does Courier need a license in this case?

• Per Ploug 865 posts 3491 karma points MVP admin
    Jan 11, 2013 @ 11:02
    Per Ploug

Yes, you will, the licensing basicly checks if the request is coming from the same machine as the site is running on. 

if it isn't it will check for a valid license

So if you want to test the scenario, use remote desktop to the intranet server and use a local browser to trigger the transfer

• Dojo 4 posts 24 karma points
    Jan 11, 2013 @ 11:19
    Dojo

But your second description is exactly what I will encounter. I cannot connect to this intranet no other way but by a remote desktop. I will have to transfer a copy of my developed Umbraco DB, and Restore this copy (by remote desktop) on the local machine on a test instance. On the same machine I will have my production environment.

I don't have any idea of doing it in a different way, because this intranet is from an external company. I don't have a direct connection to the production server, so Courier will be working always within one machine in that case and I will have to make the deployment physically on the server machine.

• Per Ploug 865 posts 3491 karma points MVP admin
    Jan 11, 2013 @ 15:31
    Per Ploug

If you can RDP to the server where the site is running, simply open a browser on that machine and go to the site, then licensing will ignore any domain limits, so that should work fine for testing if courier works

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft