Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Brad 94 posts 151 karma points
    Mar 26, 2013 @ 04:57
    Brad

Settting up Courier between two sites - problem

I have just installed Courier on a new project I have started on. The development for this site occurs on my local dev box, and the stakeholders are to see the project on a Live server, one they have access to.

For the record I am using Umbraco 6.0.0 and have a commerical licence for Courier.

I have installed Courier on both my Local and Live server.

In the courier.config on my Local PC I added two repositories. One for each site. The xml for that looks like this.

<repository name="XXXLocal" alias="XXXLocal" type="CourierWebserviceRepositoryProvider" visible="true">
    <url>http://E01111343</url>;
    <userId>0</userId>
    </repository>

<repository name="XXXDev" alias="XXXDev" type="CourierWebserviceRepositoryProvider" visible="true">
    <url>http://XXX.com.au</url>;
    <userId>0</userId>
    </repository>

In the code above E01111343 is my local PC which is running Windows 7 and had IIS running the site as http://localhost

XXX.com.au is the live site. It true name hidden by XXX. 

On the live site the courier.config has exactly the same xml in its courier.config.

Futhermore, both sites have the same admin login credentials. Also, while they have seperate databases, the same database user account has access to both site's database.

Now the error.

When I try to expand either of the Locations in the Umbraco - Desktop - Courier - Locations, on either of the servers, I get this error.

System.ArgumentNullException: Value cannot be null.
    Parameter name: The string which needs to be encrypted can not be null.
    at Umbraco.Courier.Core.Helpers.Encryption.Encrypt(String originalString)
    at Umbraco.Courier.RepositoryProviders.CourierWebserviceRepositoryProvider.getloginAndPass(Int32 userId, String& login, String& pass)
    at Umbraco.Courier.RepositoryProviders.CourierWebserviceRepositoryProvider.GetAvailableRevisions()
    at Umbraco.Courier.UI.Pages.editRepository.OnInit(EventArgs e)
    at System.Web.UI.Control.InitRecursive(Control namingContainer)
    at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint)

Can you see what i am doing wrong?

• Matt 15 posts 45 karma points
    Mar 27, 2013 @ 20:21
    Matt

Any progress?  We're getting the exact same error in a new implementation here as well.  Both locations are on the same network running Server 2008.  We're going from devl.xx.com to qa.xx.com

Umbraco version is 4.7.1.1 and Courier is 2.7.3.

Mar 27, 2013 @ 22:39
    Brad

Alas no.. This one has been a show stopper thus far.

I can't believe I convinced my boss to PAY for this.

Now I am developing on my local PC, and then copy and pasting and redoing everything on the dev box. Tedious! But this will only be possible until the site goes live. Once the client starts adding content it will be impossible to keep my local dev PC in sync.

This post

http://our.umbraco.org/forum/umbraco-pro/courier/36957-Poor-support-for-Courier?p=0

will give you some insight into what is going on with Courier. Seems the ball got dropped along the way and they are playing catch up. Looks to me like they should stop work on new releases of the CMS and for a time concentrate on rock solid implementations of the 'paid for' add ons.This particular one has to be THE most important addon of all.

Mar 27, 2013 @ 23:44
    Brad

I had some success with this..

Seems the parameter 'userId' has been changed to just 'user'

So this

<userId>0</userId>

need to be this!!!

<user>0</user>

I wish I was joking.

I have not run it yet. Too busy on another project and I need to make sure everything is backed up before I unleash Courier 2 on it.

• Matt 15 posts 45 karma points
    Mar 28, 2013 @ 14:56
    Matt

Wow, that seems to have done the trick.  I made the change in our development environment and was able to successfully migrate some content, XSLT and CSS files.

Thanks for your help.  Wonder why it was changed and not documented?

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft