Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• mouseball 63 posts 70 karma points
    Jun 18, 2013 @ 06:08
    mouseball

Courier is highly version sensitive - stable pairings

After some ( I lost count ) frustrating hours messing around with courier ( and reading about others frustrations ) I can report that it seems to work ok if you have the following at both ends:

Umbraco 6.0.6 ( here ) and Courier 2.7.5.2.94.v6 ( here )

Any other combinations did not work for me - but maybe they do for you

Hope this helps somebody & if you find any other stable pairings maybe post here :)

SP

• Martin Griffiths 826 posts 1269 karma points c-trib
    Jun 18, 2013 @ 13:05
    Martin Griffiths

Hi SCB

I've started testing our UK site which was upgraded to Umb 6.1.1. I tried the latest nightly, 2.7.8.7 and got this..

18/06/2013 11:36:50; System.Collections.Generic.KeyNotFoundException: The given key was not present in the dictionary.

After looking through a few posts it looks like a 'classic' fail, so I dropped back to v2.7.5.2.94 and its working...What the hell?!?!

Is that the error you were getting?

I suspect that something was fundamentally broken 2.7.6 is it lists, Fixes license Url in package.

Regards

Martin

Jun 18, 2013 @ 14:07
    Martin Griffiths

Hi Scb

I've done some testing (mostly shaking my head in disbelief). Courier 2.7.5.2.94 doesnt work in Umbraco 6.1.1. It completely ignored the dependency level settings and insisted transferring all dependencies despite me setting it to no dependencies. It also neglected to transfer the actual property data! Fail!

I've hotfixed the build up to 2.7.7 and now it's working as expected! Finally!

Now i've got to convince the editors that courier is "better" than our current v1.3 which is a simple right click and transfer....now they have to worry about "dependency levels", which is about as user friendly as a stale cheese sandwich.

M.

Jun 19, 2013 @ 03:28
    mouseball

Hi Martin,

Are you saying that 6.1.1 works with a hotfixed 2.7.7 ? Because I tried that and was getting the KeyNotFound exception... We will probably standardise on 6.0.6/2.7.5.2.94 as courier is a critical part of our project ( 8 developers )

I agree with your sentiments re Concierge btw ;) Oops sorry that was Dawoe

SP

Jun 19, 2013 @ 10:40
    Martin Griffiths

Hi SP

Yes 6.1.1 hot fixed up to 2.7.7. I spent an extremely frustrating day yesterday ploughing through our UK site with Courier...Here's what I found out...

My first scenario was an end to end test with a complete siteA and empty siteB (with just packages installed). SiteA did package entirely, although looking through the logs it does look like Courier encountered some issues along the way....but it did complete, impressive given our site is quite large. The package transferred fine across to SiteB but wouldn't deploy at all. Much like you I kept getting KeyNotFound errors. I also had timeouts due to some of our media files being quite large and upping the timeout in the web.config didnt work. So I tried again and this time excluded media from the package, again KeyNotFound errors so I had to give up on the end to end test.

My second scenario was a right click individual node test with a complete siteA and a complete siteB. This seemed to work without any trouble, but I have to admit it would've been difficult explaining the nuances of "dependencies" to our editors. In courier 1.3 you just right click and transfer, job done. In Courier 2 if go with the defaults (not clicking on advanced) it uses all dependencies, in some cases it can take about 10 minutes to transfer a single document/node as Courier is hell bent on discovering just about every "vaguely" linked item and transfering all that as well! I checked out the temporary package it had created and it was 1.6GB of data! Absolutely rediculous! On the other hand the "advanced" options, have too techie written all over them and thats coming from a tech geek! First and foremost Courier should be an editors tool, with added benefits for developers.

So to conclude, as I still cannot trust Courier 2. It's back to the drawing board. Our current Umbraco v4.7 installation has to be upgraded so that I can load up Contour 3, we've been spammed quite heavily on the older version so it's got to be done. Luckily i'm able to patch Courier 1.3 so that it continues to work on Umbraco 4.x. Shame the source code isnt available as i'd bug fix Courier 1.3 so that it worked flawlessly in Courier 6.x too!

You know at the end of the day, I couldnt give a stuff about developer deployment options, I just want a simple and reliable end-user deployment tool. Courier 1.3 isnt perfect, on occasion it will get NodeIds muddled up and it has a tendency to stick newly created media items in the root rather than inside its original folder structure.....But it's nothing that couldnt be bugfixed!

Utterly depressed and thoroughly disappointed!

Martin

Jun 21, 2013 @ 01:56
    mouseball

I spoke too soon...  6.0.6/2.7.5.2.94 works fine EXCEPT it does not carry over the allowed children for nested doctypes, or for media types when you package all... However if you package the doctypes seperately it does retain the allowed children

*shrugs*

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft