Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Andrew 142 posts 98 karma points
    Aug 23, 2013 @ 13:29
    Andrew

Upgrade site from 4.02

We have a site running on version 4.0.2 (dotnet 3.5). We are now wanting to do an upgrade to the latest version. Is courier the tool I am looking for (understanding that we may need to do XSLT code changes), or do we need to do this manually.

The site is running with about 40000 members and over the couple of days for the upgrade process we will have new members being registered daily, so will need to transfer those over as well after doing the upgrade

Thanks

Andrew

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Aug 24, 2013 @ 15:59
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Andrew

Courier has nothing to do with doing Umbraco upgrades. It's really for deploying content between environments.

I suppose it can be usefull if you make a fresh, clean install of the Umbraco version you want to upgrade to and the migrate content this way - but I have not been using Courier much so I'm not sure if this is even possible.

Regarding XSLT the schema was changed in Umbraco 4.5 but there is a setting in the umbracoSettings.config file, which can make Umbraco use the old Scheme so you don't need to spend time converting it.

The best place to start researching is in the upgrade documentation found here http://our.umbraco.org/documentation/Installation/Upgrading/ - Make sure you read both pages carefully before doing anything. There has been a lot of discussion wether one should be able to jump directly from an old version to the latest version. I suppose that really should be possible but currently I prefer doing it step by step.

Also make sure that you know what packages you're currently using since some of them may be outdated and need to be replaced or upgraded as well.

To save you some time for looking for different Umbraco versions just grab them from Lee Kellehers stash here http://code.leekelleher.com/umbraco/archive/ - Be aware that Umbraco was recently patched to fix some security issues so make sure to upgrade to the latest version of 4 or 6 where these have been fixed.

Make sure that you merge/add or delete files in the /config/ folder and also make sure that the web.config is merged. Winmerge is a good tool for that if you did not already know about it. There also is a tool called "Beyond compare", which I've heard positive stuff about but never tried using myself.

And of course make sure that you have a backup of all files and the database in case something goes wrong.

Since the official guide does not include upgrading steps from the version you're using you might benefit from reading about the proworks approach here http://www.proworks.com/blog/2011/03/03/my-notes-and-experiences-upgrading-umbraco-4-0-x-to-4-6-1/

I hope this helps! - Happy upgrading.

/Jan

• Andrew 142 posts 98 karma points
    Aug 24, 2013 @ 21:20
    Andrew

thanks for the comprehensive response. I was more wondering if i could use courier to transfer the content from the old 4.02 to a new installation of 6..i.e. all the content and the members in particular

• Per Ploug 865 posts 3491 karma points MVP admin
    Aug 28, 2013 @ 09:06
    Per Ploug

You could do it, but it would have a massive overhead. It would be easier for you to take a copy of the data, and upgrade that, instead of deploying data to a new install with courier

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft