Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Gregg 4 posts 24 karma points
    Oct 06, 2013 @ 23:40
    Gregg

Courier causing unstable environment.

I have been experiencing a number of issues recently when multiple users are performing bulk publishes and updating and uploading new media. The problems include YSOD, users being kicked out, .NET shutting down the application, and worse of all Umbraco crashing with database locks in place and a partly published un-usable website. The logs are full of NHibernate errors after these issues.

If I unistall Courier all these problems dissapper and bulk publishing is much faster. I have updated to the lastest versions, Umbraco 6.1.6 and Courier 2.7.8.15. Is there a know issue or is there something I'm doing wrong?

It seems that Courier wants to update its cache when publishing occurs. Is this really nessessary, or could the cache just be updated / refreshed at the point when a users whishes to install a revision? The increased workload that Courier seems to be introducing with each publish seems very inefficient when I only wish to use Courier occassionaly.

Any suggestions would be gratefull. My performance tester is recommending that Courier is uninstalled from our environments, which will force me to manually deploy changes.

• Ed Bishop 53 posts 203 karma points
    May 22, 2014 @ 16:08
    Ed Bishop

Gregg,

Wow, this seems to be exactly the problem we are experiencing! I thought we were alone as I have trawled the internet looking for others and somehow never came across this post.

Did you resolve this?

Cheers,

Ed

• Gregg 4 posts 24 karma points
    May 22, 2014 @ 23:13
    Gregg

Hi Ed,

No, unfortuntley we didn't manage to resolve the issue.

Our content updates and additions are fairly infrequent, and usually include new files. With this in mind, we now prepare a deployment package and copy everything onto our various environments and then use Courier to import all the changes and then uninstal Courier. Its a poor solution if you change content frequently, or you are using Courier to move changes from a staging environment (where many people contribute content) to a production environment.

I'm generally un-impressed with Courier, the quality falls short of the standards acheived by the CMS.

Best of luck, Gregg

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft