Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Umbraco 137 posts 294 karma points
    Oct 11, 2013 @ 14:49
    Umbraco

Courier package version is not semantic

We need to be able to determine, programmatically, the version of installed packages, and compare them (e.g. is package installed more recent than ...).

It helps if packages use semantiv versioning or System.Version compatible versions, but this is not enforced by the Umbraco packaging system (the version attribute is treated as a string).

The currently published version of Courier has "Umbraco Courier for Umbraco 6" as the version. This is incorrect imho. It should be "2.7.8" or "2.7.8+15" (if you want to include build metadata). The phrase "Umbraco Courier for Umbraco 6" could/should be used for the name of the package. See also the guidelines for core contribution, which state semantic versioning is preferred. I think it makes sense for Courier to adopt semver as well.

Can this be fixed for the next release?

Thank you!

• Martin Griffiths 826 posts 1269 karma points c-trib
    Oct 22, 2013 @ 15:35
    Martin Griffiths

Hi Michiel

Good luck on that request, not even the Umbraco core libraries are versioned this way!

I only wish they were as it would save huge amounts of build confusion when we build and deploy.

M/

Oct 22, 2013 @ 16:10
    Umbraco

Well, I'm hopeful as the v4 package does have a version that makes more sense, so it seems like this is just an oversight for the v6 package.

Oct 23, 2013 @ 11:49
    Umbraco

Now that the issue tracker for Courier is public, I have reported this as an issue, so we can track it (and vote for it).

http://issues.umbraco.org/issue/COU-35

• Martin Griffiths 826 posts 1269 karma points c-trib
    Oct 23, 2013 @ 12:19
    Martin Griffiths

Hi Michiel

Yea thanks for that heads up, looks to me like Seb is actively working on bug fixing since Per handed the project back to the core team.

M.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft