Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Zac 223 posts 575 karma points
    Nov 15, 2013 @ 18:03
    Zac

Courier randomly dumping nodes all over the place

We need to move an entire site via courier, and it's not really happening.

Here's our setup:

1. It's a multi-site Umbraco install on 6.1.6
    2. Each site within the install uses it's own hostname and culture
    3. We have 3 instances - dev, stage, live
    4. All instances are running the same source code, i.e. local files are identical (other than the web.config and media folder etc.)

A single site (Site A) is running on the live instance. This is the up-to-date Site A. There is also an out-of-date version of Site A on the dev instance that we, essentially, don't care about.

The second site (Site B) is running on the dev instance. This is the up to date Site B. It does not exist on the live instance.

We need to move the up-to-date Site B onto our live instance.

I thought this would be a case of right click the Site B node, click on Courier.

I WAS WRONG

Predominately, my problem seems to be that Courier LOVES to randomly dump nodes into the root, whilst putting others in the right place. It loves to do this in both Media and Content. Miraculously, by running Courier twice I managed to get the Media nodes to actually re-populate in the correct hierarchy after they all got dumped into the media root.

In content however, no such luck. Running courier twice on the Site B top-level node just seems to add more junk in the root. It even seems to dump the same node in multiple times (as in, more than 1 copy of a node in the root in a single courier transfer).

Essentially, it's a disaster. Obviously what I'm doing here is trying to get everything onto the stage instance, rather than risk totally breaking the live instance. So assume stage is just a clone of live, with a carbon copy of the media folder, and a cloned database.

ANY IDEAS?

• Luke O'Byrne 7 posts 27 karma points
    Nov 20, 2013 @ 05:07
    Luke O'Byrne

I have a similar issue. Have a staging and a live site. Both set up at the same time running 6.1.6. Installed courier on both.

Have transfered the full site from the staging site to a blank live site which is where the problems have started:

* Some nodes didn't transfer to their correct place in the site hierarchy (however they maintained all their child nodes). These nodes weren't published.
    * All of the folders in Media were lost and all the media is just in the root
    * Some of the templates also didn't transfer to their correct place in the site hierarchy and instead placed in the Template root
    * Macros that use contentPicker parameters didn't update the node IDs

Nov 20, 2013 @ 10:28
    Zac

Yep, unfortunately we have no solution yet. Good to see the support team out in force

tumble weed

This is a pretty major problem for us. Not really sure what to do

Nov 22, 2013 @ 11:36
    Zac

Any progress Luke?

No solution found here yet... (other than just moving a huge amount of stuff over manually at great cost)

• Luke O'Byrne 7 posts 27 karma points
    Nov 25, 2013 @ 00:29
    Luke O'Byrne

No progress sadly.

Like you the only way to get everything working on the Live site was to manually move things around. Our plan was to never have the live site touched by the end users and have content producers (non technical) push content out themselves. We can't expect the content producers to manually move things around and would very much prefer that a technical person isn't required every time there is a content change.

Unless there is a fix soon, we will probably have to move to a plan b and not use Courier. Given project time restrictions I can't invest much more time investigating the issue sadly.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft