Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Russell Horton 3 posts 24 karma points
    Feb 11, 2014 @ 12:35
    Russell Horton

Courier not creating document type structure correctly at destination.

Hi,

We're having quite a specific issue with using Courier 2 for deployment. I'm currently trying out the product and assessing if it's something that we could use within our company and as such have set this up in a sandbox environment to test its features.

Here's the scenario:

I have 2 sites; Site 1 is full of content, media etc. This site is actually a copy of an existing site as I wanted to try Courier with live data. Site 2 is a completely blank instance which I’m using to receive transferred data from Site 1.

The content for site 1 lies underneath a root node. Site 1's content uses a series of bespoke Document Types. One Document Type in particular is nested underneath a child of an existing document type so that the Document Type structure we have is 'Site -> Private Document Type -> Extended Private Document Type.

the 'Extended Private Document Type' inherits most of its properties from its parent, 'Private Document Type'.

When using courier for the first time to transfer the site content to Site 2, I right click the root node, select 'Courier' and in the transfer item window I make sure to check 'Yes, transfer all children as well' and make sure the destination is correct.

Clicking 'Deploy' seems to go well - no errors are reported and all dependencies seem to have been identified correctly. However, when checking Site 2 to see what’s there I notice that, although the content appears to have come across, the structure of the Document Types has not been honoured. This means that the 'Extended Private Document Type' now sits in the root of the 'Document Type' folder and as such no longer inherits it's properties from the 'Private Document Type'.

Now, in Site 1 If I then select a single node that uses the 'Extended Private Document Type' and transfer that on its own, using courier (not transferring its children), the Document type structure on Site 2 is corrected and the Types are nested correctly. The content node has then got all its properties back.

So, concluding my ramblings, I guess my questions are:

1. Are we using Courier in the correct way to transfer the root content node of the site?
    2. Is it even good practice to transfer the root node, should a complete site copy be done in stages or via a database backup/restore?
    3. Has anyone else experienced similar problems? What where the outcomes?
    4. I can't seem to find a 'known issue' list for Courier - does such a thing exist?

R

• Jon Dunfee 199 posts 468 karma points
    Feb 12, 2014 @ 22:54
    Jon Dunfee

I've not had much luck transferring big chunks with Courier.  I've recommed to client to sync all environments manually with db copies, etc... then use Courier to handle deltas going forward.  Two things need to happen with Courier: (1) receive a major overhaul under the hood or (2) discontinue Courier and bake it into core and let the community help.  Umbraco could replace Courier as a Pro product with one that has a robust workflow options (which would appeal to the enterprise, multi-environment clients).

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft