Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Mike 80 posts 101 karma points
    Jun 12, 2014 @ 10:45
    Mike

Deploy to multiple sites?

Is it possible, or is there another solution maybe, to publish CSS, Masterpages, Doctypes (everything but the content) to multiple sites? Also, is it then possible to install these changes without logging in to the target site and clicking compare and install?

reason: 

If i have multiple sites using the same masterpages and stylesheets, but are different domains, and I change something in the "master" site, i would like this change to be pushed to all other sites without effecting the content itself.

thanks

• Mark Bowser 273 posts 860 karma points c-trib
    Jun 12, 2014 @ 18:12
    Mark Bowser

I haven't done a lot of template or css deploys with courier, but you can do the right-click deploy. This should allow you to deploy without having to log in to the destination to compare and install. You can also configure multiple remotes with courier. This should allow you to deploy to multiple destinations.

As far as other solutions go, TeamCity and Usync are two tools that we use and recommend for doing these sorts of things.

We use TeamCity http://www.jetbrains.com/teamcity/ to automate the deployment of our umbraco sites. You can configure it to pull from a git repo and deploy the masterpages and css.

Usync http://our.umbraco.org/projects/developer-tools/usync is a really cool tool for deploying doctypes. It stores xml files that represent the doctypes. You can have it work with more than doctypes, but we only use it for doctypes. You can then configure your staging site (or production if you are daring) to read the doctype xml files into the site. This updates your doc types. If you are using usync, I would recommend not deploying straight to production. It is possible for usync to have issues (especially with ultimate pickers) and it could potentially hurt your site. Make backups. Also, because usync stores the doctypes as xml files, it allows you to deploy doctype changes with teamcity.

Let me know if that is helpful. We are still in the process of working out all of the kinks in our continuous integration.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft