Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Medjeti 75 posts 126 karma points
    Nov 26, 2009 @ 19:39
    Medjeti

Courier: Success, but nothing gets transfered

Hey guys,

I just installed Courier for the first time and it's giving me a bit of a headache - I hope somebody can help me out.

I'm running two Umbraco instances on the same 64 bit Windows Web Server 2008 box - let's call them dev1.mydomain and dev2.mydomain. Dev2 holds my original content, while dev1 has had some structural changes made. I'm trying to migrate this content from dev2 to dev1.

Now, I had a bit of trouble installing the package due to the 64 bit environment, but I managed to get the resolved.

First I thing tried was to migrate the entire content tree, which - predictably - resulted in 2½ pages of validation errors (missing doctypes etc.)

Right, I thought, I'll try to just transfer a single document to get things running. This seemingly worked just fine and I was greeted with the "Success - don't forget to publish the document at the target server" message. However, when I log into the target instance of Umbraco, there is no sign of the document I migrated.

One thing that is puzzling me, that might be related: I've specified my target server in the courier.config on the source instance, as the manual describes - but the manual doesn't say anything about how to configure the target machine to allow the source server to transfer content.
    Am I missing a configuration step, or is merely being within the same second-level domain enough?

Well, this is about all the information I can supply with my limited understanding - does anybody have an idea what I should do?
    Any and all suggestions are welcome - thanks in advance!

• Chris Houston 535 posts 980 karma points MVP admin c-trib
    Nov 28, 2009 @ 11:00
    Chris Houston

Hi Medjeti,

I was installed Courier for the first time yesterday (although I have had licenses for month, just not had a chance to use them!)

You need to configure the courier.config file on ALL servers, on each server you need to specify where it can copy too and which servers can push data to it.

The Config on the Dev1 box:

This defines where you can copy data from the Dev1 box... so in your case.. Dev2

<servers>
     <server addToContextMenu="true" alias="Dev2">dev2.mydomain.com</server>
    </servers>

And this defines which servers can push data to this server: ( You need to change this to the Dev2 IP )

<allowedServerIps>
    <!-- to allow all servers add an ip element with an asterik ("*") -->
    <!-- Or change the IP address below to the Dev2 IP address to only allow content FROM -->
    <!-- the Dev2 server -->
     <ip>127.0.0.1</ip>
    </allowedServerIps>

The Config on the Dev2 box:

This defines where you can send data from the Dev2 box... so in your case.. Dev1

<servers>
     <server addToContextMenu="true" alias="Dev1">dev1.mydomain.com</server>
    </servers>

And this defines which servers can push data to this server: ( You need to change this to the Dev1 IP )

<allowedServerIps>
    <!-- to allow all servers add an ip element with an asterik ("*") -->
    <!-- Or change the IP address below to the Dev1 IP address to only allow content FROM -->
    <!-- the Dev1 server -->
     <ip>127.0.0.1</ip>
    </allowedServerIps>

Configuring which client machines can trigger a copy action:

You can either leave this as * to allow you to use Courier from any client PC, or you can restrict it so that Courier
    can only be used from certain client IP addresses.

<allowedClientIps>
    <!-- to allow all clients add an ip element with an asterik ("*") -->
    <ip>*</ip>
    </allowedClientIps>

Remember each config file will be different...

Cheers,

Chris

Nov 30, 2009 @ 12:29
    Medjeti

Hey Chris,

Thanks for chiming in with your very detailed instructions. I think I have pretty much followed all these steps - and I assume that both the "Success" message and the "Missing doctypes" error I receive are an indication that the authentication stuff is set up correctly.

However, I'm still not able to actually get any content transferred, despite the nice "Success" message.

• Niels Hartvig 1951 posts 2391 karma points c-trib
    Nov 30, 2009 @ 13:09
    Niels Hartvig

Hi Medjeti!

Could you send an e-mail to support at umbraco net and we'll take a look :)

Best,
    Niels...

• Chris Houston 535 posts 980 karma points MVP admin c-trib
    Nov 30, 2009 @ 15:18
    Chris Houston

Medjeti,

Did you make sure that the doctypes of the documents you are trying to transfer are exactly the same on the target machine? You need to make sure they are the same or it will not work, failing that get in touch with Niels as he mentioned :)

Cheers,

Chris

Dec 01, 2009 @ 12:49
    Medjeti

There are indeed some differences between the doctypes, which results in the validation errors I mentioned in the OP - but for simple types that haven't changed, I still get no error message and no transferred content.

Anyways, I have a crack team of highly skilled support experts (Per) helping me out, so I'm sure we'll be able to work it out :o)

Thanks again.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft