Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Jonas 9 posts 29 karma points
    Dec 07, 2009 @ 14:25
    Jonas

Will Courier make my day?

Hi everyone!

I’m thinking of upgrading Umbraco to the pro-version - as I am interested in the courier-functionality.

I currently run Umbraco on two separate servers, one is for development and the other is a live site. I want to create new content on the dev. server and then transfer it to the live-server.

1. How do I go about upgrading umbraco to pro? Can I upgrade the current installation or must I reinstall the complete package?
    2. Which server needs to be pro (live, dev, both)? Do I need two pro-subscription (I guess no, as I understand the terms)?
    3. Will this work (kind of a silly question, I know - but it is a little to much money for me to spend if this does not solve my problem, it would be nice with a “trial-version” of the pro-subscription)?

• Morten Christensen 596 posts 2773 karma points admin hq c-trib
    Dec 07, 2009 @ 15:49
    Morten Christensen

Hi Jonas,

Courier is a package that you install inside umbraco like every other package, so I don't see any problems installing it in your two solutions (dev and live). You will need to install the package in both solutions and add your pro license file to both solutions.

I'm not sure how the licensing works (dev domain, live domain etc.), but I'm sure someone from HQ will drop by and answer that.

Transfering content from a dev environment to a live site will work, I have used it myself. A new and updated version should be on the way, which has some very nice (and very needed) upgrades.

• Chris Houston 535 posts 980 karma points MVP admin c-trib
    Dec 08, 2009 @ 02:20
    Chris Houston

Hi Jonas,

You need one license per domain, which means you can install courier on all your servers related to that site, i.e:

• Your local laptop install ( using yourdomain.com.local as a local domain name )
    • Your development server ( e.g. dev.yourdomain.com )
    • Your staging server ( e.g. stage.yourdomain.com )
    • Your live server ( e.g. www.yourdomain.com )

You mentioned you hope it will solve your problem, it would be good to know what problem you are hoping Courier will solve, otherwise this part of your question is hard to answer :)

Cheers,

Chris

• Jonas 9 posts 29 karma points
    Dec 08, 2009 @ 09:11
    Jonas

Thanks for our suggestions guys, this is really helpful to me!

I will try to clarify some things.

I currently run my site on two separate hosted servers. One is a dedicated VPS (the live server) and one is a shared server (the dev. server), so each has a separate IP. The reason for this setup is historical; the site was first developed on the dev. server and then transferred to a more stable dedicated environment for live usage. The live server is continuously being updated with new users and user related information. 

Now, a set of additional pages (mainly flash content) have been developed on the dev. server and I want to transfer them to the live server. The original idea when this project started (a long time ago) was to sync the databases in order to transfer content. While this seems possible in theory the Courier functionality sounds like it solves the same problem while being more practical.

As I understand your answers so far, the Pro upgrade won’t work for me as I currently use two separate servers (e.g. www.devserver.se and www.livesite.com). One option would be to move the entire dev.-server to a substructure on the live-server (eg. www.dev.livesite.com and www.livesite.com), then upgrade to Pro and transfer content to live? I would be grateful for any further suggestions or comments you might have…

• Niels Hartvig 1951 posts 2391 karma points c-trib
    Dec 08, 2009 @ 11:50
    Niels Hartvig

Courier is indeed developed to solve the headaches of content staging. It can transfer content from one install to another (different dbs/different servers) including other content/media dependencies and transfer content and media that are related as well as updating ids if they differ from one install to the other.

You can use the same license on both servers as long as you're able to point a subdomain to both of them (ie. dev.mysite.com, staging.mysite.com).

Hope this helps!

Niels...

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft