Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• karen 186 posts 461 karma points
    Dec 15, 2009 @ 17:55
    karen

Courier test hangs

I trying to test out courier and how it works.  I installed it on my localhost and am trying to transfer to another test site on my localhost.

I set it up, changed courier.config:

<

server addToContextMenu="true" alias="development">localhost</server>

restarted Umbraco, clicked 'transfer to development' and now it is just hanging.  Basically my umbraco control window is just blank and if I mouse over it shows the hourglass.  Been like that for 15 minutes or so already.

I am new to Umbraco.  I have it set up and trying different sorts of things to see how it can work and what it can do.  So if you have an answer please explain in Umbraco-newbie term, Thanks.

Umbraco version 4.0.2.1

Thanks,

Karen

• Niels Hartvig 1951 posts 2391 karma points c-trib
    Dec 15, 2009 @ 20:16
    Niels Hartvig

Sounds like you're copying to the same environment as the source which would cause an endless loop. The destination should be different from the source installation to test Courier.

Hope this helps!

Dec 15, 2009 @ 20:27
    karen

I can have multiple websites running on one server and multiple databases - So how do I do this on the same server? 

I don't see in the config file how do you specify which database or site to transfer to?

• Dennis Milandt 190 posts 517 karma points
    Dec 16, 2009 @ 14:49
    Dennis Milandt

Consider two independent umbraco installations. One running from c:\Websites\Site1 and one running from c:\Websites\Site2. In each of their web.config files they have a different connectionstring defined and connects to two different databases. The sites should be identical if you want to test Courier.

Now, have two websites on your IIS, one loading site1 from www.site1.com and the other from www.site2.com.

If you want Site1 to be to be your source site and Site2 to be your target site, you should add www.site2.com to your Courier configuration file.

In IIS7 you can have multiple sites running simultaneously on the same development workstation - Im not aware of any way you can do this in IIS6.

I hope this helps.

Kind regards
    Dennis Milandt

Dec 16, 2009 @ 16:16
    karen

Hi.  Thanks.

Yesterday after posting that I had sime time later on to think about it and realized the situation.  Just haven't had time to come back and update.

I was thinking that since Courier does database updates, that it was connecting directly to the second sites database, which is why I was confused that you didn't specify any of that in the config files.  Now I realize I missed the step where it says install Courier on both source and target servers and didn't make the connection on how it works.

There isn't much information on Courier (that I can find anyway) and how it works so it takes some time and research to piece it all together.

Thanks again!

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft