Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Snehal Thube 21 posts 63 karma points
    Jan 29, 2015 @ 12:33
    Snehal Thube

Server was unable to process request. ---> User: admin could not be authenticated

Dear all,

I am using Umbraco Courier for first time and facing below issue when I setup Production and staging envirnment. when I click on Locations > TestLocation, it throws following error

Server was unable to process request. ---> User: admin could not be authenticated

Error details

System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapException: Server was unable to process request. ---> User: admin could not be authenticated
    at System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapHttpClientProtocol.ReadResponse(SoapClientMessage message, WebResponse response, Stream responseStream, Boolean asyncCall)
    at System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapHttpClientProtocol.Invoke(String methodName, Object[] parameters)
    at Umbraco.Courier.RepositoryProviders.WebServiceProvider.RepositoryWebservice.GetAvailableRevisions(String username, String password)
    at Umbraco.Courier.RepositoryProviders.CourierWebserviceRepositoryProvider.GetAvailableRevisions()
    at Umbraco.Courier.Core.RepositoryProvider.GetAvailableRevisions(String folder)
    at Umbraco.Courier.UI.Pages.editRepository.OnInit(EventArgs e)
    at System.Web.UI.Control.InitRecursive(Control namingContainer)
    at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint)

Please let me know if anything missed. I tried setup same username and password on production and staging environment with both Clear/Hashed password encoding.

Thanks,

Snehal

• Dennis Aaen 4499 posts 18254 karma points admin hq c-trib
    Jan 29, 2015 @ 13:15
    Dennis Aaen

Hi Shehal,

Try to see the post about the same topic, perhaps it can help you solve the issue you have.

http://our.umbraco.org/forum/umbraco-pro/courier/28283-Courier-User-Authentication-Issues

Or perhaps this post can help you,

http://our.umbraco.org/forum/umbraco-pro/courier/59448-error-authenticating-between-717-and-72-RC

Hope this helps,

/Dennis

• Mark Bowser 273 posts 860 karma points c-trib
    Feb 17, 2015 @ 18:27
    Mark Bowser

It sounds like you are trying to authenticate via username/password, but just to be sure, are you using username/password or are you using the user id?

Could you post what your courier.config repositories section looks like?

I haven't really spent time with the username/password yet. I have had success using the user tag, but I have not had success using the userId tag. The version of Courier where I am having success with the user tag is 2.7.8.35. I'm not sure, but I think that different versions of courier might use userId instead of user, so if you decide to go down this road instead of username/password, you might need to try both user and userId.

This is an example of what my repositories section in my courier.config usually looks like:

<repositories>
        <repository name="LIVE" alias="dest" type="CourierWebserviceRepositoryProvider" visible="true">
            <url>http://mylivesite.local</url>;
            <user>0</user>
        </repository>
    </repositories>

Feb 18, 2015 @ 10:42
    Snehal Thube

Thanks Dennis and Mark for your reply.

I resolved this issue by setting up useLegacyEncoding="true" from the following section in web.config file.

<membership defaultProvider="UmbracoMembershipProvider" userIsOnlineTimeWindow="15">
          <providers>
            <clear />
            <add name="UmbracoMembershipProvider" type="Umbraco.Web.Security.Providers.MembersMembershipProvider, Umbraco" minRequiredNonalphanumericCharacters="0" minRequiredPasswordLength="4" useLegacyEncoding="true" enablePasswordRetrieval="false" enablePasswordReset="true" requiresQuestionAndAnswer="false" defaultMemberTypeAlias="Member" passwordFormat="Hashed" />
            <add name="UsersMembershipProvider" type="Umbraco.Web.Security.Providers.UsersMembershipProvider, Umbraco" minRequiredNonalphanumericCharacters="0" minRequiredPasswordLength="4" useLegacyEncoding="true" enablePasswordRetrieval="false" enablePasswordReset="true" requiresQuestionAndAnswer="false" passwordFormat="Hashed" />
          </providers>
        </membership>

The issue was with password encryption mechanism which was used on two envioronments. As useLegacyEncoding value was false before and that is why it was generating password using dyanmic salt for each user and that is why on both the environments password were different and because of which above issue was coming.

After lots of trail and errors for around 2 days, I found this. Hope this will help some one.

• blackhawk 313 posts 1368 karma points
    Jun 09, 2017 @ 14:04
    blackhawk

Setting that value to true causes an issue with attempting to log back into Umbraco if you have version 7.6+

Also setting it to true did nothing for me on my end in regards to resolving the error.

• kows 81 posts 151 karma points c-trib
    Jun 21, 2017 @ 06:40
    kows

Combination of setting a machinekey & useLegacyEncoding = true seems to fix it for me in 7.6.3. Login does become invalid though, did you try to reset password using "Forgot your password?"?

• Paul Sterling 718 posts 1534 karma points MVP 8x admin c-trib
    Feb 20, 2015 @ 09:30
    Paul Sterling

@Snehal

Yes, it's an issue we're aware of (http://issues.umbraco.org/issue/COU-104) that comes from the move to "real" membership in 7.2.  Unfortunately the fix for this will require many changes...and so it's something for a future Courier update.

Feb 23, 2015 @ 10:58
    Snehal Thube

Thanks Paul,

But would love if this gets fixed at earliest to avoid Rainbowcrack.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft