Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• J 21 posts 42 karma points
    Mar 05, 2015 @ 21:53
    J

Correct way to remove items from an existing revision?

I'm considering a team workflow where team members package their changes into a Courier revision, then check that revision into source control for later deployment. My question is, what is the correct way to remove items from an existing revision? The GUI does not appear to support this. I am assuming a manual workaround might be required, which would include (correct me if I'm wrong) editing the manifest XML and perhaps deleting the referenced files.

I suppose a followup question would be, is this a feasible workflow? It seems to be what Per was demonstrating in his Codegarden 12 speech.

• J 21 posts 42 karma points
    Mar 09, 2015 @ 06:10
    J

I think I'm a little more certain of the necessary workaround now. For anyone who's curious, the manifest.xml file (in the App_Data/courier/revisions/revisionname folder) generated by each revision is essentially a listing of everything in the revision, starting with a provider. As far as I understand, removing something from there essentially removes it from the revision. You can then remove it from the file system if you want, but I wouldn't think that would be necessary. I don't know if any other changes are needed (haven't done my testing yet).

For the item elements, the id attribute represents the uniqueid value from the umbracoNode table. For the provider elements I haven't figured out what the id represents yet, but I believe the providers map to the various categories of items you are presented with when adding items to the revision using the GUI. If the time comes that I need to remove a provider, I might need to do a little trial and error first.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft