Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Craig Cronin 304 posts 503 karma points
    Jul 28, 2015 @ 15:31
    Craig Cronin

Deleting content with Courier

I've been using courier not for the past couple of days and have just noticed that when we delete content on the internal server, the changes don't get deployed to the live server.

After checking on our it looks like this is a common situation and a work around of unpublishing seems to be the approach.

What I'd like to be able to do is delete the item and then deploy the recycle bin. This way it would automatically group deleted items into one area on the live site which I could manually delete in the future?

Does anyone have any other recommendations or workarounds for this situation?

• Mark Bowser 273 posts 860 karma points c-trib
    Jul 28, 2015 @ 17:16
    Mark Bowser

I have attempted to Courier items from the recycle bin with Courier 2.50.1 and couldn't figure out how to make it work.

I created a feature request. I know that Umbraco has intentionally left out the ability to Courier deletions to protect from data loss. I think that is a good decision. However, Couriering the recycle bin might be a safe compromise. Vote up the feature request and we will see what the folk that work on Courier think.

http://issues.umbraco.org/issue/COU-164

Jul 29, 2015 @ 07:38
    Craig Cronin

Thanks for the reply mark, yes personally this seemed like it could be a solution for us.

All voted for :)

• Paul Sterling 718 posts 1534 karma points MVP 8x admin c-trib
    Jul 28, 2015 @ 18:29
    Paul Sterling

Thanks for the input guys. I can't say if we will implement the deploy recycle bin feature (seems a bit of a hack) or not at this time. I can tell you that are working on a different approach for deployments that is more aligned with core services.

As for deleting content - in general this is a very complex problem to address and still maintain the ability to "arbitrarily" deploy content to a target instance. Always welcome your further input.

Jul 28, 2015 @ 19:22
    Craig Cronin

Thanks Paul, still relatively new to this issue but its always good to ask the community :)

Our site has just gone live so bug fixing and look at deployment over the next couple of days so will update the post if I find anything.

• Per Ploug 865 posts 3491 karma points MVP admin
    Aug 05, 2015 @ 09:11
    Per Ploug

A bit more detail on the complexity of the problem:

When you delete something from Umbraco - not just put it in the recycle bin - but really really delete it - it is gone, no trace left.

So how do you deploy that? - we've looked at various ways we could keep track of stuff being deleted - but its always some sort of registry being synced outside the core - so really fragile and easy to get out of sync.

So from 7.4 we aim to have a "deleted" token on all nodes - and even when a document is deleted - we keep that node in the umbracoNodes table so that we can keep track of deleted content.

Then on deploys, we can include a collection of deletions which will remove the content.

For deploying content in the recycle bin - it could be a solution - and I think we actually already do support that inside courier - and it might just be a UI thing.

• Carl Bussema 38 posts 140 karma points
    Feb 18, 2016 @ 20:58
    Carl Bussema

So, 7.4 is out now... what's the status of Courier being able to sync deletes?

Aug 05, 2015 @ 09:36
    Craig Cronin

Hi Per,

We've had to remove courier in the meantime because the delete issue was causing us to many problems. We have a large user base with content moderators etc.

I'm not sure how much work the recycle bin fix would be but but that would have worked for us.

We could logon to the live server once a week/month and cleared it.

Is there anywhere where I can keep track of progress for the new version of courier?

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft