Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Jules 269 posts 560 karma points
    Oct 18, 2015 @ 22:56
    Jules

Courier pushing new content but not updating existing content

Umbraco 7.2.6, Courier 2.51.2

The websites are Azure Web Apps.

If I create a new content node in site 1 and push to site 2 all is good. However if I then make a change to the new item in site 1 and push again to site 2, the changes are detected and packaged but they do not show up in site2.

Any suggestions on how solve this issue?

J

• Martijn Duizendstra 3 posts 28 karma points
    Oct 19, 2015 @ 12:31
    Martijn Duizendstra

We experience the exact same thing. After upgrading the staging server to Umbraco 7.3.0 and Courier 2.51.2 (we want to start testing with Azure scaling).

When I delete all content on server 2 and transfer everything from server 1 to server 2 everything shows up fine.

When you want to transfer updated items, nothing appears to happen.

I'm thinking of maybe updating Courier on the Production server to 2.51.2 and see if that fixes things.

Any advice?

@Jules, do you also experience this? In addition when I package all the changes on Server 1 and then Transfer the packaged version to Server 2. Then Compare/Install that version, it shows me all the changes, adds and updates, however after installing the transferred version... nothing. This has worked before, but stopped working also.

Oct 19, 2015 @ 17:16
    Jules

Unfortunately, I've got latest Courier on both source and destination servers and I am experiencing this problem.

Jules

• Martijn Duizendstra 3 posts 28 karma points
    Oct 20, 2015 @ 08:40
    Martijn Duizendstra

Maybe this is of use to you...

After several Courier uninstall/reinstall attempts I finally got it to work... I deleted the browser cache (all time) after installing Courier again on both servers and it started working.

The new server is running Umbraco 7.3.0 with Courier 2.51.2 The old server is on Umbraco 7.2.6 also with Courier 2.51.2

• Roger Dunbar 7 posts 77 karma points
    Oct 21, 2015 @ 12:39
    Roger Dunbar

Hey guys,

Experiencing the exact same issue here between two relatively identical environments, i.e. Umbraco 7.2.8 and Courier 2.51.2, new content is transferred without any issues, but any updates are just ignored.

Interestingly changing the node name is reflected but nothing else - somewhat frustrating as we've been pushing the management to use Courier and on the first attempt it fails.

Would appreciate any advice on this one - to save face as much as anything else :o)

Rog

• Sebastiaan Janssen 5045 posts 15476 karma points MVP admin hq
    Oct 21, 2015 @ 14:58
    Sebastiaan Janssen

If you could post Courier and Umbraco log files from the time this happened (both for the source and the target site) that would help getting to the bottom of this.

Oct 21, 2015 @ 15:47
    Roger Dunbar

Hi Sebastiaan,

I didn't want to post too much into here, so I have added to the following links:

I hope that this provides the information so you can get to the bottom of the issue.

Thanks,

Roger

Oct 22, 2015 @ 07:54
    Jules

Hi Sebastiaan

I have put trace logs here;

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/dktz0mmcc04n885/AADkBYcHRwMCKLyOEidcViJSa?dl=0

Appreciate the assistance.

Regards

Jules

• Shannon Deminick 1525 posts 5271 karma points MVP 2x
    Oct 22, 2015 @ 09:57
    Shannon Deminick

Hi all,

Under no circumstance should Courier be used to transfer content between environments that are not identical. Identical meaning you have the exact same Umbraco and Courier version on both environments.

The next version of Courier will actually prohibit you from even attempting this.

The reason for this is because the logic is different for various features between umbraco and courier versions. Generally speaking, this has never been officially supported and it's only by fluke it has ever worked.

If you can please verify/confirm you have identical environments and if not, please ensure that they are identical and re-test.

Oct 22, 2015 @ 10:00
    Shannon Deminick

Jules, i wonder if it has something to do with the CoreCellEditorResolver since those are the warnings that exist in your destination log.

Can you test if content can be updated on the destination for a document that doesn't use the grid ?

Oct 22, 2015 @ 10:12
    Roger Dunbar

Hi Shannon,

I can confirm that our instances are 100% identical as we installed on one server, the Dev environment, and then pushed the entire instance to our UAT server.

New content, no problem. Changes, other than name, are not reflected.

Interestingly though dependencies were moved across, e.g. we had a media picker field referencing a new image in the media library. The new media was identified and brought across, but the value in the media picker property was not.

Thanks,

Roger

Oct 22, 2015 @ 12:01
    Sebastiaan Janssen

@Roger your logs were not showing anything interesting, can you mail full logs to [email protected] please?

Oct 22, 2015 @ 12:13
    Jules

Answering Shannon's question:

My environments are identical - Azure Web Apps and SQL Azure - U7.2.6 and Courier 2.51.2

Jules

Oct 22, 2015 @ 13:37
    Jules

Answering Shannon's other question :

In fact I pushed a simple doc type that had no custom properties (just changed name) with Courier and it worked.

Pushing doctypes on their own seems to be fine. The ones I have tested anyway.

I then tried adding an item on a list view but that did not appear at the target.

Do you need to see logs again?

By the way thanks very much for the help :)

Jules

Oct 22, 2015 @ 16:29
    Jules

Sorry about these bitty comments ...

Shannon if the core issue is to do with the CoreCellEditorResolver is there anything that I can do about that or is this a potential bug?

Jules

Oct 22, 2015 @ 16:45
    Shannon Deminick

If that is the issue, then it's a bug. Can you please test sending data over for a content item that contains a couple properties like text boxes, etc... but not the grid? You mentioned you tested an empty content item with no properties and that works but I'd like to know if a content items properties update when there is no grid involved.

Oct 22, 2015 @ 19:53
    Jules

Hi Shannon

Transferred updated content node with textstring, numeric and RTE properties but no grid. This reached target without issue.

Do you want me to test anything else. Do you want logs?

Jules

Oct 23, 2015 @ 07:59
    Shannon Deminick

Thanks for checking that. So that sort of confirms that the issue is with the Grid data and not normal property data which is consistent with the logs you sent over. I've made a fix for this in the Courier src already: https://github.com/umbraco/UmbracoDeploy/commit/c9bdbf112ae1d5150add72ae939cd4536e895284 , linked to this issue: http://issues.umbraco.org/issue/COU-230 which will be available in the next release (next week IIRC).

The problem is how dynamic treats a number, it doesn't always treat it as an integer (most times its long) which was what the code was explicitly checking for

Oct 23, 2015 @ 09:13
    Roger Dunbar

Hi Guys,

Just wondering what we think is the best thing to do here as Courier is not allowing us to handle any updates whatsoever, do we think this is a bug in the current version and therefore are we looking at uninstalling and going back to an earlier version?

I'm just unsure what to do at the present moment in time as management are starting to ask questions :(

Thanks,

Roger

Oct 23, 2015 @ 09:15
    Shannon Deminick

Roger, do you have the same issue as Jules ? If it's an issue with the Grid data, then rolling back isn't going to help because the code has not changed in regards to how it handles the integer for the grid data.

If you don't have the same problem then you need to explain the issue you have and provide logs that indicate what the problem is (as per Sebastiaan's previous answer)

Oct 23, 2015 @ 09:26
    Roger Dunbar

Hi Shannon,

Thanks for the reply. Yes I've provided full details on the issue and full logs but I don't think they indicated what the issue might be. Unfortunately it's not the grid data as we're not using it.

As per my previous comments, new content is being transferred fine. Updates to any fields, apart from the node name, are NOT although any additional dependencies, e.g. a new image added via the media picker, do seem to be picked up.

Changing a standard text property for a document does NOT result in an update on the target. I really don't know how much information I can add to this. Thoughts?

Roger

Oct 24, 2015 @ 12:08
    Jules

Hi Shannon

That's awesome! Would this also solve the issue of list items not arriving at the target do you think?

Jules

• David Twamley 9 posts 101 karma points
    Nov 02, 2015 @ 20:12
    David Twamley

I'm seeing the same issue with 7.2.8 and Courier 2.51.2. The only error message I've found in the courier log is WARN Umbraco.Courier.DataResolvers.GridCellDataResolvers.CoreCellEditorResolver - The ID of the cell value was not an integer, the cell cannot be processed. The data for the cell is: ... I can't see the commit to UmbracoDeploy but I'm going to give the nightly a try. Looks like Courier.v2.51.3-nightly260.zip from http://nightly.umbraco.org/?container=umbraco-deploy was built after Shannon's commit. Will report back my findings.

Nov 03, 2015 @ 01:08
    David Twamley

I'm still seeing that error with 7.2.8 and Courier 2.51.3 nightly 260:

2015-11-03 00:08:32,955 [25] WARN Umbraco.Courier.DataResolvers.GridCellDataResolvers.CoreCellEditorResolver - [Thread 5] The ID of the cell value was not an integer, the cell cannot be processed. The data for the cell is: { "value": { "focalPoint": { "left": 0.5, "top": 0.5 }, "id": 14607, "image": "/media/1852651/customer-spotlight-thumb.jpg" }, "editor": { "name": "Image", "alias": "media", "view": "media", "render": null, "icon": "icon-picture", "config": {} } }

@Shannon did nightly 260 include your fix? Was the fix only for 7.3+?

I am always using identical versions of Umbraco and Courier between environments. But one DB is running on SQL Server and the other is running on Azure SQL. Could that matter?

With the 260 nightly right click deploy stopped working entirely and was giving some new error messages (will share if anyone cares) so maybe the nightly has other problems or I didn't install it properly (uninstalled the 2.51.2 Courier package and then installed the 2.51.3 nightly package) or maybe its just doing a better job of voicing errors that were silent before or maybe I shouldn't be pulling Courier nightlies out of the Umbraco-Deploy folder.

I'm getting the impression that the love Courier has received lately because of Umbraco as a Service is mostly in the updated APIs for 7.3. I noticed in my courier logs that it's still loading the *.V6.* classes even though I'm on 7.2.8. I just need to land on a stable Courier configuration. I'm guessing my best bet is 7.3.1 and 2.51.3.

Nov 03, 2015 @ 07:40
    Sebastiaan Janssen

This is truely weird, this is our actual code:

if(cell.value.id is int)  
    {
      // Do something
    } 
    else
    {
      CourierLogHelper.Warn<CoreCellEditorResolver>("The ID of the cell value was not an integer, the cell cannot be processed. The data for the cell is: {0}", () => cell.ToString());
    }

I even tested the actual value that you posted here:

using System.Web.Helpers
    var json = "{  \"value\": {    \"focalPoint\": {      \"left\": 0.5,      \"top\": 0.5    },    \"id\": 14607,    \"image\": \"/media/1852651/customer-spotlight-thumb.jpg\"  },  \"editor\": {    \"name\": \"Image\",    \"alias\": \"media\",    \"view\": \"media\",    \"render\": null,    \"icon\": \"icon-picture\",    \"config\": {}  }}";
    dynamic cell = Json.Decode(json);
    if (cell.value.id is int) 
    {
        Console.WriteLine(cell.value.id.GetType().FullName);
    }

The result is System.Int32 and that makes total sense as the actual "id" in that json string looks a lot like an int...

With that said, I added logging to see what the actual detected type is in build 262. Would you be so kind as to try that one to see what may be going on here?

Nov 03, 2015 @ 07:45
    Roger Dunbar

Guys

Any feedback on my particular issue? At the moment it's getting close to removing it and requesting refund (management and not me I might add).

I'm at a complete loss as to why it's not working and the logs give no clue.

Roger

Nov 03, 2015 @ 08:50
    Sebastiaan Janssen

@Roger Sent you an email!

Nov 03, 2015 @ 15:08
    Sebastiaan Janssen

@David Just noticed that we didn't merge in Shannon's changes so the nightlies didn't contain them. Build 263 is now running which should fix the issue!

Nov 03, 2015 @ 23:38
    David Twamley

Nightly 263 does seem to fix this particular issue on 7.2.8. I definitely don't see that error in the logs anymore. I am seeing other problems but I'll put those in their own thread. Thanks!

Nov 04, 2015 @ 07:17
    Jules

Can the nightly builds be installed over the top or do we need to uninstall/reinstall?

J

Nov 04, 2015 @ 08:03
    Sebastiaan Janssen

@Jules No need to uninstall, you can unzip the files in the .HotFix.zip file, overwriting the existing files.

Nov 04, 2015 @ 11:37
    Jules

Thanks Sebastiaan J

• Heiko Luxenhofer 38 posts 138 karma points
    Dec 03, 2015 @ 13:43
    Heiko Luxenhofer

Hi,

I have the same problems like Roger.

@Roger: Do you have a solution?

Logs don`t show any exceptions.

• Gleb Kaplan 49 posts 125 karma points