Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• andrew shearer 506 posts 653 karma points
    Nov 17, 2019 @ 19:27
    andrew shearer

hello - what is everyone using / planning to use for a code-first approach in umbraco 8? (i.e. for promoting cms changes from dev to test, live)

thanks

• Magnus Eriksson 122 posts 362 karma points
    Nov 17, 2019 @ 21:46
    Magnus Eriksson

I use the very popular uSync package. It's not code first (I don't think there is a code first solution for v8) but uSync is excellent for promoting changes in doc types, data types and so forth between your environments.

Regards, Magnus

• Søren Gregersen 441 posts 1884 karma points MVP 2x c-trib
    Nov 18, 2019 @ 00:45
    Søren Gregersen

We have been building something internally, for code first specific..

For the other, uSync and later umbraco deploy, are great options. Another one is to create packageS on your development sites, from your doctypes / content, and install them to the target environment.

Nov 25, 2019 @ 19:58
    andrew shearer

hi - thanks for the uSync suggestions. Ideally we're looking for a code-first option in umbraco 8 so that we can continue to promote datatype, doctype, template, and sometimes content changes automatically with our deployment packages.

• Søren Gregersen 441 posts 1884 karma points MVP 2x c-trib
    Nov 25, 2019 @ 20:08
    Jul 24, 2020 @ 02:56
    andrew shearer

hello - so does anyone using anything other than usync? thanks

• Ismail Mayat 4511 posts 10090 karma points MVP 2x admin c-trib
    Jul 24, 2020 @ 08:38
    Ismail Mayat

Andrew,

uSync if you want to kind of get things like migrations and source control with non code assets. In v8 and v7 there is no code first. There used to be in v6 uSiteBuilder which was like a clone of Episerver PageBuilder however it had its issues.

Way I see it code first is for controlling effectively via migrations your non code assets and to give you strongly typed models.

With usync you get source control of non code assets and with models builder you get strongly typed models (with some caveats, namely its tied in with IPublishedContent although you code use ditto with will give you pure models).

When its comes to Umbraco I have 2 mottos:

1. usync all the things.
    2. If you aint using usync you are doing it wrong!

;-}

Regards

Ismail

• Kevin Jump 2310 posts 14695 karma points MVP 7x c-trib
    Jul 24, 2020 @ 13:21
    Kevin Jump

Hi Andrew,

Interested to know what uSync doesn't do/work for you ? If there is something you think it should do (or explain better!), feel free to drop an issue in the repo and we will be more than happy to take a look.

Kevin

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft