Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Benjamin Ravn 35 posts 68 karma points
    Nov 26, 2019 @ 10:44
    Benjamin Ravn

Upgrading Umbraco 7 sites to Umbraco 8

Hello everyone

I have a lot of old Umbraco 7 websites using a lot of different packages. One of the most critical and unreplaceable packages is Archetype.

We use Archetype mainly to build page content, and it wouldn't be an easy task to rebuild every page in a new way - nor wouldn't it be cheap to recode it, just because we want to upgrade to the newest version of Umbraco.

I know it's possible to upgrade from Umbraco 7 to Umbraco 8, but how about the packages? Should they in theory still work?

What is your experience in particular with Archetype? Should it still be working, or am forced to stay with Umbraco 7.x, until I can introduce a new page builder?

If I'm forced to stay with Umbraco 7.x, does anyone know when 7.15.4 is released? There hasn't been any activity on the version in a long time now.

Thanks!

• Alex Skrypnyk 6132 posts 23951 karma points MVP 7x admin c-trib
    Nov 26, 2019 @ 23:37
    Alex Skrypnyk

Hello Benjamin

I would say that Archetype isn't an unreplaceable package. It's not upgradable and not supported but totally replaceable with Nested Content for example. But of course, you need to transfer content between properties and rewrite code.

--- I know it's possible to upgrade from Umbraco 7 to Umbraco 8, but how about the packages? Should they in theory still work? Most of the packages will not work in v8.

--- What is your experience in particular with Archetype? Should it still be working, or am forced to stay with Umbraco 7.x, until I can introduce a new page builder? You can't use Archetype in new applications, and you are not able to upgrade it, Archetype has no future and support

If I'm forced to stay with Umbraco 7.x, does anyone know when 7.15.4 is released? There hasn't been any activity on the version in a long time now. Umbraco 7.5.14 is 90% as Progress shows - https://our.umbraco.com/download/releases/progress but there is no release date. I'm quite sure that it will be released before Christmas.

Thanks,

Alex

• Alex Skrypnyk 6132 posts 23951 karma points MVP 7x admin c-trib
    Dec 02, 2019 @ 00:57
    Alex Skrypnyk

Hello Benjamin

Let me know if you fixed the issue.

Thanks, Alex

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft