Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Victoria 14 posts 114 karma points
    Nov 26, 2019 @ 23:40
    Victoria

Database deployment recommendations

Hi there,

We've inherited an Umbraco site and I'm relatively new to developing in Microsoft. We've made a lot of changes in the CMS and the code of the site we're working on and just needing advice on the best solution for deploying database changes (re-adding them in the interface on staging and live isn't a feasible option).

I tried using uSync to transfer content, but came across too many issues to consider this as a stable solution in the long run. I looked at the Courier app, however it isn't built to work on the version of Umbraco we have (7.4.3).

Just wondering what other people are doing for deployment and what you guys would recommend for our set up? The site is hosted on Azure, and if we upgraded to Umbraco 7.9 we could look at using the Courier app (trying to come up with the most cost effective solution for the client).

Many thanks,

Victoria

• Alex Skrypnyk 6132 posts 23951 karma points MVP 7x admin c-trib
    Nov 27, 2019 @ 23:24
    Alex Skrypnyk

Hello Victoria,

I would say that uSync is a quite solid way of deploying database changes.

Just make some rules on how to use it, like 1) do not change the doctypes on live 2) do changes only on dev and locally 3) create all content on live

Something like that, it should work really well.

Courier also is good, I would recommend you to upgrade to the latest version. Why 7.9?

Thanks,

Alex

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft