Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Johannes Lantz 34 posts 208 karma points
    1 week ago
    Johannes Lantz

Neasted content value in controller

Hello Evryone!

I have gotten a bit stuck here and looking for som guideance.

So I have an Neasted content data type. And I want to fetch the values in a controller.

I can fetch the first Neasted content byt doing something like this var foo = settingsNode.Properties.Where(x => x.PropertyTypeAlias == backgroundPickerAlias); and that becomes an Umbraco.Web.PublishedCache.XmlPublishedCache.XmlPublishedProperty. But I am having touble fetching the values. By doing foo .Value I get object <string>, but I can't figure out how to get the value of the object. I have been trying to do some LINQ statement, like "Select" and "Where" but it says 'object' does not contain a definition for 'Where' and the best extension method overload PublishedContentExtensions.Where(IEnumerable<IPublishedContent>, string)' requires a receiver of type 'IEnumerable<IPublishedContent>'

I can't figure this out to save my life..

I am open to everything!

//Johannes

• Marc Goodson 1024 posts 6755 karma points MVP 4x c-trib
    1 week ago
    Marc Goodson

Hi Johannes

You can retrieve a Nested Content's property values in the format of an IEnumerable of IPublishedContent - there is an individual IPublishedContent item representing each repeating Nested Content Item.

Have a look at the reference page in the docs for some examples and explanation:

https://our.umbraco.com/Documentation/Getting-Started/Backoffice/Property-Editors/Built-in-Property-Editors/Nested-Content/index-v7

But essentially if your NestedContent Property type has alias "backgroundItems"

you would be able to get the list of repeating items like so:

var allBackgroundItems = settingsNode.GetPropertyValue<IEnumerable<IPublishedContent>>("backgroundItems");

then you could loop through each of these items and read the individual properties for each repeated element eg

@foreach (var backgroundItem in allBackgroundItems){
           //use the alias of the properties of the repeating document type to read the values eg: if there were a 'title' property

var backgroundItemTitle = 
                   backgroundItem.GetPropertyValue<string>("title");

var backgroundImage = 
                   backgroundItem.GetPropertyValue<IPublishedContent>("backgroundImagePicker");

}

unless I've misunderstood what you are trying to do!

regards

marc

1 week ago
    Johannes Lantz

Hi Marc!

Thank you for your reply!

What I am trying to achive is to get the background Image in a Neasted Content, on the newly saved node and save that url somwhere.

So I am using theCustomApplicationEventHandler for the "on save event".

I have tried your suggested method, but I would only recive the Published content, but it's not published yet, So this would only work if I where to save and publish 2 times in a row. That's why I trying to get the value via the "Properties" value.

//Johannes

• Marc Goodson 1024 posts 6755 karma points MVP 4x c-trib
    1 week ago
    Marc Goodson

Hi Johannes

ahh yes, sorry I misunderstood, context is everything!

I think, if you are working with an IContent object in the Save event the value, will currently be a blob of JSON for the Nested Content property you are saving, and so you will need to deserialise it first to start reading the values:

var nestedItems = JsonConvert.DeserializeObject<List<Dictionary<string, object>>>(settingsNode.GetValue<string>("nestedContentPropertyAlias"));

then you can loop through the list of dictionary items and their values...

hope that gets you further down the line!

regards

Marc

1 week ago
    Johannes Lantz

Sorry about that!

You are an absolute legend Marc! Thank you so much!

//Johannes

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft