Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Owain Williams 480 posts 1412 karma points MVP 6x c-trib
    Dec 02, 2019 @ 14:04
    Owain Williams

Visual Studio Project / Starter Kit / Azure DevOps

Hi everyone, I thought I'd start a thread here as Twitter / Slack seems a bit too instant and I feel this thread might be of interest to others but maybe not!

I have a project in Visual Studio that has Umbraco 8 in it, I have a Project.Core and a Project.Web setup within it. .Web has Umbraco CMS and .Core has controllers / models etc.

This is a clean install of U8.

I have another project which has U8 also installed but it's been worked on and I would like to use a lot of the content / doctypes / media from it as a starter kit. I've created a package from the backoffice but then I had a realisation. If I install this as a starter kit, I wont have all the controllers / models etc setup correctly within my .Core project as I presume they will be compiled.

So my question is, how would you setup a baseline project that can be spun up quickly to get a site ready for customising?

Should I keep one original project which is always used for code changes and then maybe get Azure DevOps to create a package of this project (I've no idea how to do this but I'm thinking it must be possible) which could be used on a new fresh install?

Any thoughts / suggestions would be great.

Thanks,

Dec 02, 2019 @ 14:10
    Owain Williams

The other option I am currently thinking is, I take the current project, clone it, and then clean out everything that I don't need now and use this as the new baseline. I could then just clone this project each time I need to spin up a site however, it does mean I'd need to copy the database each time which wouldn't be great as I don't want users to be copied and I probably don't need all the content either.

Dec 02, 2019 @ 15:28
    Owain Williams

Work in progress :

I've installed a fresh, clean, install of U8. I've then use uSync to bring over all the doctypes from the original site. This keeps things cleaner. I can now go through the new site and delete anything that I don't need on the new clean version.

Once I've done that, I will look at creating a NuGet Package which can be installed on future installs that are ready to go.

I think this is the cleanest way I can do it.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft