Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Nick Roll 13 posts 92 karma points
    Dec 02, 2019 @ 17:10
    Nick Roll

Can languages fallback to each other?

I have a site with two languages, English and Welsh. We have a requirement that some pages may only exist in one language - in which case that version of the page should show regardless of which language the front-end user is using. English is the default, neither language is mandatory. English is the fallback of Welsh, but I am unable to set Welsh as a fallback of English. I just get the white cross in the green box when I try to save. Can anyone advise why this is please?

• Amir Khan 1282 posts 2739 karma points
    Dec 02, 2019 @ 19:53
    Amir Khan

How's your site set up? Are you using Vorto to manage the content for different languages?

• Nick Roll 13 posts 92 karma points
    Dec 03, 2019 @ 09:32
    Nick Roll

We're on Umbraco 8 so we're using the out-of-the-box multi-language functionality

• Matthew Wise 271 posts 1373 karma points MVP 4x c-trib
    Dec 01, 2020 @ 12:53
    Matthew Wise

I don't think you can have circular language fallbacks, otherwise if both were empty it would break the site.

You should be able to write code to check the other language. https://our.umbraco.com/documentation/getting-started/design/Rendering-Content/#using-fall-back-methods may be of use but it doesnt look like it covers your use case.

Matt

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft