Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• lori ryan 239 posts 573 karma points
    Dec 11, 2019 @ 10:13
    lori ryan

Just wondering what's the best way to get all nodes of type xxx in a surface controller

Am currently using

IEnumerable<IPublishedContent> myIeNumerable = Umbraco.ContentAtXPath("//xxxx");

Best approach??

• Zoran Latinovic 6 posts 86 karma points
    Dec 11, 2019 @ 11:27
    Zoran Latinovic

Hi lori ryan

You can use Umbraco extension method DescendantsOrSelf

• Lars Heesakkers 38 posts 194 karma points
    Dec 13, 2019 @ 14:12
    Lars Heesakkers

Hi lori ryan,

I recently found a article about the performance on the different ways of querying Umbraco : https://skrift.io/articles/archive/testing-the-performance-of-querying-umbraco/

The article is written for Umbraco 7, but i assume it's also relevant for 8.

• Mario Lopez 168 posts 952 karma points MVP 3x c-trib
    Dec 15, 2019 @ 22:43
    Mario Lopez

I recommend you to use Examine. It's the best performance way:

public IEnumerable<Location> GetAllLocations()
    {
        var examineSearcher = ExamineManager.Instance.SearchProviderCollection["ExternalSearcher"];
        var searchCriteria = examineSearcher.CreateSearchCriteria(Examine.SearchCriteria.BooleanOperation.And);
        var searchQuery = searchCriteria.NodeTypeAlias(Location.ModelTypeAlias);
        var locations = Umbraco.TypedSearch(searchQuery.Compile()).Cast<Location>();

return locations;
    }

EDIT: Don't ever use DescendantsOrSelf. If you do that from the site's root you can end up with hundreds or thousands or nodes loaded into memory.

• Zoran Latinovic 6 posts 86 karma points
    Dec 16, 2019 @ 09:08
    Zoran Latinovic

Based on article that Lars suggested most efficient way is with Umbraco.ContentAtXPath("//xxxx");

Event DescendantsOrSelf is faster than Umbraco.TypedSearch

• Lars Heesakkers 38 posts 194 karma points
    Dec 16, 2019 @ 09:15
    Lars Heesakkers

I have to agree with Mario that you have to be extremely careful with DescendantsOrSelf, especially with large amount of nodes.

I also remember Umbraco.ContentAtXPath being the faster one.

• Mario Lopez 168 posts 952 karma points MVP 3x c-trib
    Dec 17, 2019 @ 03:00
    Mario Lopez

You're right, I thought TypedSearch performed better. Still you can use Examine with Take and Skip to improve the query.

I guess it depends how many nodes you expect to have. If you have a News section for instance, that can grow a lot, I wouldn't go with the DescendantsOrSelf option or the Xpath.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft