Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Sumesh KP 34 posts 107 karma points c-trib
    Dec 11, 2019 @ 12:42
    Sumesh KP

Relate to original on copy node is not working in Umbraco v8

I have tried to use the "Relate to original" feature when copying a Umbraco node as per https://our.umbraco.com/Documentation/Tutorials/Editors-Manual/Getting-Started-With-Umbraco/Copying-a-Page

But it was not working as expected.

I used the Following steps:

• Selected Node
    • Right click > Copy
    • Select checkbox "Relate to original"
    • Updated content in the Copied node then Save and Publish
      • Checked the Original node (The content was not updated in the original node)
    • Updated content in the Original node then Save and Publish
      • Checked the Copied node (The content was not updated in the copied node)

enter image description here

Can anybody help to make understanding/achieve the feature?

Thanks in advance

Sumesh KP (sumeshkp18)

• Kevin Jump 2310 posts 14695 karma points MVP 7x c-trib
    Dec 11, 2019 @ 14:33
    Kevin Jump

Hi Sumesh,

unfortunately, that isn't how the relate to original content feature works,

beyond the original copy, no content or properties are maintained between related nodes.

Internally Umbraco is creating a database link (relation) between the two nodes. and programmatically you can find out which pages are related to each other, but the content is independent in each node.

I think this is included in Umbraco for multilingual sites - As it allows for an internal link between two nodes, (for example it lets you programmatically work out the Spanish version of your English page)

if you want the content to be used on multiple pages, you might be better creating some shared content pages in another section of your site and linking them (using a content picker, or multi-node tree picker). to the content pages you want the content to appear on.

you would then need to write code for your pages that went of and got the content from these picked nodes and rendered it on the pages.

• Amir Khan 1282 posts 2739 karma points
    Dec 11, 2019 @ 17:34
    Amir Khan

It would be interesting if there were two options "Map to Original" that works like the current Relate to Original and also a "Relate Content to Original", I've always found it kinda confusing also.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft