Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Colin 46 posts 146 karma points
    Dec 11, 2019 @ 21:41
    Colin

Getting started with Umbraco and Entity Framework

I'm new to Umbraco and would like to look into using Entity Framework for adding additional functionality to a site and database tasks.

I would prefer to start with version 7 as it seems to come across a little more reliable (though if there is enough help and support on 8 that would to be fine but if looks a little buggy too).

I would be using MVC so I'm looking for a starter guide or a very brief debo to get me going. I've searched a number of articles but I find arrive missing bits so not entirely clear how things should best be approached.

I also noticed some people download from GitHub where others install this NuGet through Visual Studio. Which is the preferred method and why?

Could I use Visual Studio 2017 and/or 2019 query Umbraco 7?

Would be great if someone could guide me or point me to a simple article.

• Magnus Eriksson 122 posts 362 karma points
    Dec 12, 2019 @ 07:50
    Magnus Eriksson

Starting a new web site today I would certainly use Umbraco v8, unless there's some very critical feature you need that is only available in v7.

You can use VS2019 and I would install using nuget since it's much easier to handle updates and dependencies.

The umbraco source code is hosted on github but you shouldn't use that for building your web site, but rather for contributing to the development of the core.

Regards, Magnus

Dec 12, 2019 @ 08:39
    Colin

Thanks Magnus, it's there a particular minor version I could target with Umbraco 8? Rather go for a particular version that's production ready.

If I did go for version 8 are the steps similar to version 7? Does version 8 support web user controls or has that been deprecated (winforms etc) ? I've seen articles where you can create custom backend admin screens each use winforms, is that the same on version 8?

• Bo Jacobsen 590 posts 2366 karma points
    Dec 12, 2019 @ 10:20
    Bo Jacobsen

Hi Colin.

And welcome to the future :-)

If you wanna use user controls and webforms and masterpages, then you should go with Umbraco v4.

If you wanna use Umbraco v8 i would recommend you looke into these things:

1. ASP.NET MVC - Frontend framework. Instead of webforms and masterpages.
    2. Angular Js - Extendning the backoffice. Instead of user controls.
    3. Peta Poco - Custom database framework. Instead of Entity framework.
    Dec 12, 2019 @ 14:45
    Colin

Thanks Bo,

Angular Js - so is code behind no longer supported? Is it not possible to create custom pages with aspx pages or cshtml?

Why would you not recommend Entity Framework? Or is that personal preference? I'm familiar with EF so I thought this would be a great option?

Dec 13, 2019 @ 21:59
    Colin

Sorry to push this up but would really like some thoughts on this before I commit. Thank you in advance

• Graham Davis 110 posts 376 karma points
    Dec 14, 2019 @ 03:19
    Graham Davis

Hi Colin,

Use either MVC or ASP.net Forms. Don't try to mix them because they are different frameworks. Id go with MVC and version 8 of Umbraco and then load your partials like you normally would.

@Html.Partial("~/Views/Partials/_GeoMap.cshtml").

Use Visual Studio for your development and nuget to add Entity Framework and other packages you might need. Version 7 has conflicts with some newer packages which is why I recommend going with 8.

Dec 14, 2019 @ 04:22
    Colin

Thanks Graham

To close this off, are you aware of any articles/videos that I could follow as a guide? I have seen some version 7 videos but I don't know how accurate they are.

As an example the video I'm watching currently talks me through the Umbraco context and how to override Global.asax within Visual Studio etc and how controllers/views could be separated. Would this apply to version 8? If so I could continue with this video series of there aren't massive changes. Cheers

• Alex Skrypnyk 6132 posts 23951 karma points MVP 7x admin c-trib
    Dec 14, 2019 @ 12:16
    Alex Skrypnyk

Hi Colin,

Really nice Umbraco 8 video course you can find here - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRS6SnSL4Pk&list=PL90LHquhD-N2mO8kYzhZL15sh1lyxVK

If you know Umbraco 7 it's easy to use v8. I suppose both versions are new for you, so maybe start from v8 will be easier.

Thanks,

Alex

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft