Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• JoskerVemeulen 68 posts 262 karma points
    Dec 12, 2019 @ 12:18
    JoskerVemeulen

Best approche to content page "builder"

Hi, using umbraco 8, what is the best approche to create a content page "builder"?

Scenario: We would like the client to build his page for instance. If we break down the parts in this example:

enter image description here

component: text-left image-right

component: full-width image

component: text-right image-left

component: full-width text

component: image gallery

The client should be able to compose a page with these parts. Ofcourse it's up to the client in what order or how many blocks he uses.

What is the best approche? Grid, nested content, other...?

Thanks!

• Magnus Eriksson 122 posts 362 karma points
    Dec 12, 2019 @ 15:53
    Magnus Eriksson

Not saying it is the best, but I would use Nested Content.

"text-left image-right" / "text-right image-left" would probably be the same type for but with a switch for the editors to decide left/right positioning.

Regards, Magnus

• Marcio Goularte 374 posts 1346 karma points
    Dec 12, 2019 @ 17:24
    Marcio Goularte

Hi. I also suggest Stacked content. He is good for doing page builder. I made a change to the source code where the visual appears in the backoffice

• JoskerVemeulen 68 posts 262 karma points
    Dec 20, 2019 @ 07:58
    JoskerVemeulen

We ended up using doctype grid editor: https://our.umbraco.com/packages/backoffice-extensions/doc-type-grid-editor/

Very nice package. In this way you can insure your users only use doctypes in the grid that are preconfigured. Without using the macros. Less error margin for the users is far better UX.

I have read some things about grid V2 that is suppose to have about the same functionalities. But not much dev is done there.

Thanks!

• Søren Kottal 702 posts 4497 karma points MVP 5x c-trib
    Dec 20, 2019 @ 08:58
    Søren Kottal

I would say grid (I'm obviously biased though :))

I don't think Nested Contents UI can handle the complexity of a page builder, with a lot of different component types, and give an easy overview of what is on the page.

Stacked Content was nice, but it lacked the sectioning feature that grid has, where you can have a different sections with their own settings, containing multiple components.

But don't use Grid as it is OOTB, to me grid is only a viable option when you go 100% DTGE editors, and use a custom rendering view suited for your site.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft