Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• jayarora 1 post 81 karma points
    Dec 18, 2019 @ 05:54
    jayarora

Is Backend Development worth these days?

Hello Everyone

I am sorry if this is not the correct place to ask this question. I am starting my career in the field of development, but the thing that is disturbing me is if backend development has any scope in future to pursue or not? I do not have any proper guidance to that nor I know what are the qualities a backend developer should pursue. Anyone having any idea, please help with the same.

Thankyou

• Alex Skrypnyk 6131 posts 23950 karma points MVP 7x admin c-trib
    Dec 18, 2019 @ 18:59
    Alex Skrypnyk

Hi

Backend development demand is growing, so learn it :) Good developer can be backend and frontend - easy to switch and use another language.

There is no wrong language(apart from PHP probably) until the whole market is growing.

Thanks,

Alex

• andrew shearer 506 posts 652 karma points
    Aug 17, 2023 @ 01:58
    andrew shearer

There is no wrong language(apart from PHP probably)

lol

• David Zweben 265 posts 749 karma points
    Dec 18, 2019 @ 19:15
    David Zweben

Backend development isn't going anywhere, there will always be a need for code that runs on the server, outside of the user's control.

Umbraco's language of choice, C#, is a great language to use for back-end development.

• Rasmus Rasmussen 6 posts 85 karma points notactivated
    Aug 17, 2023 @ 08:19
    Rasmus Rasmussen

This is a great question.

All of the social medias/payment services, websites and so on have a front-end, and that front-end needs a back-end to do all of the logic. You want to post on Instagram? You press the "create post" button, and the front-end sends a request to the back-end, where it then routes you to the "create post" page. You create a post, and press the "post" button. The back-end then saves that post to the database, and sends it to the front-end and shows it to everyone.

Edit: This is not correct. I was ignorant on this --> (((Everything we interact with runs on the back-end. You can't (from my knowledge at least) create an interactive front-end that works without a back-end.))) <-- wrong.

Aug 17, 2023 @ 12:12
    David Zweben

This is not accurate.

Technically, most websites do have a back-end for their functionality beyond static file hosting. The extent of the back-end can very greatly, though, anywhere from nothing at all, to just a database and no code, to running all of the site's functionality, even UI interactions. Front-end code (JavaScript, or front-end frameworks like React, Vue, Angular, or even Blazor WASM) can take on part or even all of the code execution responsibilities, and these days usually handles at least part of it. It really depends what the site needs to do.

So no, everything we interact with does not run on the back-end. You absolutely can build an interactive front-end with no back-end. It may or not be feasible for whatever you're trying to do.

Backend and frontend each have their pros and cons. Backend is running code under known conditions. In a single-server scenario, there's no worry about differing compatibility or varying interpretation of the code. It also has known performance and a choice of languages. But you're also the one responsible for providing all the computing resources, so that can limit scalability or increase cost.

Frontend is free compute, because the user's computer is handling it. It scales really well, but it also means the computing resources and compatibility will vary, making more headaches for coding and testing. But it costs you nothing to run code on someone else's computer. It can also provide them with much less latency, because interactions don't necessarily have to go through the network at all.

They're two different tools that can be used in two different ways.

• Rasmus Rasmussen 6 posts 85 karma points notactivated
    Aug 17, 2023 @ 12:24
    Rasmus Rasmussen

I have it edited now

Aug 17, 2023 @ 12:28
    David Zweben

No worries, that's what these forums are for; helps us all learn something from each other.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft